Chapter 19 - Unchanging Memories

Chapter 19

"DAMN IT! DAMN IT!"

You know, the best thing ever is screaming into pillow.

Especially if you're trying to stop the person searching for bandages in the other room from hearing you.

"Y/n?" Ludwig hisses angry at you, "are you sure you're okay?"

"Go away," you moan. But he doesn't, of course he doesn't.

"Y/n, stop squirming."

"It hurts," you reply.

"Of course it does."

Something touches one of your small cuts and suddenly you're on your injured leg trying to jump. Trying being the key word here. In reality you just feel over and begin to roll.

"What the hell was that?!"

"It was a polyester dissolved in alcohol," Ludwig says flatly, "it will cover your minor cuts. We already have the larger ones bandaged."

"I can't believe you couldn't just take me to the hospital."

"Trust me, I would have, Gilbert persuaded me against it. You have amazing healing abilities."

"It's Christmas Eve," you whine, "spare me."

Ludwig grabs your arm and pulls you back onto the bed adding more of the devil solution.

"STOP IT! IT STINGS LIKE A WASP NEST TO THE FACE BUT A THOUSAND TIMES WORSE! STOP IT!"

"The burning sensation is the alcohol the polyester is dissolved in evaporating."

"AHHH, YOU'RE EVIL LUDWIG! EVIL!"

His brows seem to knot together as he watches you childishly roll around and scream.

"Y/n, I was wondering how you knew I was Germany. I understand it is common knowledge to some... but maybe I should care more. Since those people are now after you... most likely because of me."

You pause your ridiculous rolling to give Ludwig a concerned look. What a random conversation changer.

"What's it like being a personification of a country?"

He scratches the back of his head as if looking for the right words.

"In a way the boss does most of the work, the personification is more like a tool. You sometimes get recognized but most people don't pay much attention. There is the immortality factor, but life and love doesn't work that way."

Your face heats slightly as you realize he was talking about you. You rarely made mistakes on jobs, but things have changed.

"Though in times you could do what you want, I agreed to help my brother with his job."

Of spy hunting.

"Why aren't you helping with the front lines then?" you ask now curious. A dangerous grins lights his face.

"Do you really want to see?"

"Uh," you gave him a slightly uncertain smile, "maybe?"

"Y/N! WEST! GET DOWN HERE I HAVE SOMETHING YOU SHOULD SEE!"

"Maybe latter then," Ludwig goes. You're helped to your feet and begin to limp after Ludwig before Ludwig stops.

"Y/n, have you ever been in a war?"