Chapter 22 - Emerald Eyes

Chapter 22

Arthur...

You reach for your brother, your voice still muffled. He brings a finger to your lips, a cloth covering his own mouth and nose. You bring your hand down to the cloth around your mouth, he removes his hand as you wrap it around your mouth.

You don't ask questions as he makes a motion for the window. You grab your cloak and bring it over your shoulders, your boots and a pair socks are grabbed as well as you jump out the window after him.

Your bare feet dig into the ground as you stumble after him into the back alley. He waits quietly as you put on your boots. He begins to fade into the shadows.

You don't follow.

"Ludwig and Gilbert are in there," you hiss, pointing back the direction you had both come.

Arthur shook his head. It's then when you hear the roar. Ludwig is screaming. He isn't in the flames though. He's screaming because he thinks you're still in there.

You begin to turn. Arthur grabs your arm and doesn't let go.

"I know you think this plan is perfect," you spat. "But I don't want them to think I'm dead."

Arthur stares at you, his emerald eyes dark. "We don't have time for this."

"I get it, there are people after the personifications, but running isn't the answer."

His gloved fingers dug into your skin. You pull away. "We don't have time for this."

"I heard you the first time."

"We're not running, love, we only need to get away from the buildings. Let's go."

You bite your lip. Love, the nickname he always used for you. You follow.

He weaves through a few alleys before motioning at a fire escape. You scale the metal ladder, quickly coming onto the roof, watching the flames engulf the bar.

Arthur's heat presses into your side. You stand still.

"I came because Francis is dying."

"What?!"

"It was a gunman, he's currently in critical care. They don't think he's going to wake up. Before they went after him so obviously, they tried accidents. A car accident, accidentally falling off a bridge, a mugging in a back alley that could not be linked to them...when Francis survived the fire, they went after him with a gun. That's why I came."

"They're trying to kill us."

"No, they're trying to kill the personifications, you're just a bystander."

"I am as much of a personification as you are."

His eyebrows rose. "Are you as much of a nation as I am?"

Your lip trembles as you stare up at Arthur. "I'm not a target then, you shouldn't be worried about me."

Arthur's head tilts as he brought a radio up to his lips. "Yes?"

"Sir, the Iris and the Thorn are being joined."

"How many men this time?"

"It is Germany and Prussia sir."

"Good, move in."

"More men?" you hiss? "MORE MEN?!"

"They've been joined by about a dozen, it seems your friends are confronting them. We're moving in as you can so blatantly tell."