Chapter Eight - Accepted

Dominique immediately splashed water on her face in the bathroom of the cafe. She rushed into the bathroom after hearing the shocking proposal from Santiago Perez her boss. The only way she could leave that was place without suffocating was by excusing herself into the bathroom.

A date? A date with him? Why would he ask her? She's just a secretary. Nothing more. She can't. She just can't go with him, but what if she says no to him? What if he takes drastic measures? What if he fires her or treats her harshly at work? She was so confused. For some strange reason, she didn't even want to leave the bathroom.

Her phone rang in her bag. She checked and saw it was Lorraine calling. With her hands shaking, she quickly answered the call and spoke with a shaky voice.

"Lory,"

"Dom, where are you? I've been calling you for some minutes now. Aren't you done in the cafe?" Lorraine asked her.

"Lory, I'm here with my boss." Dom told her.

"Your boss?" she repeated, "Why on earth...."

"No, I ran into him here. I don't even know."

"I am not understanding what the big deal is here Dom," Lorraine said to her, "what's wrong? You sound like you've seen someone die in your presence."

"He said there's a party his parents are hosting and he wants me to attend." Dominique informed her.

"What's wrong there?"

"As his date." Dom answered, word by word.

Lorraine gasped at the news and squealed out of excitement on the phone. "This is fantastic! Oh my gosh Dom, I am so happy...."

"Happy? Do I Sound happy to you?"

Lorraine froze out of confusion, "You're not happy?"

"Yes,"

"Why?" Lorraine asked her again, seeming pissed off already.

"I've said it a million times, Lory. I do not want to...."
Lorraine quickly hushed her on the phone, "Hey hey hey hey hey! Be quiet right now! Be quiet this instant!"

"What on earth?"

"Don't bring up that lazy bachelorette topic of yours again. Dominique Acosta, a handsome, young, wealthy man...."

"Also know as my boss." Dominique added, so Lory would get the idea straight in her head.

"Whatever," Lory retorted, "he just asked you to be his date to a formal party not to be his girlfriend or wife."

Dominique sighed, "So what are you trying to say?"

"Go!"

"No!" Dominique exclaimed back.

"Just go as a working date partner. Nothing else." Lory advised.

She sighed again and checked her time, making sure she wasn't wasting his time out there, "Do you know what? I'm wasting a lot of time in here. I gotta go. I'll call you and tell you everything."

"Dom, respond positively. Say yes."

And Dominique cut the call.

She opened the door and exited the bathroom, dressing herself up in case of any awkward bathroom stains and strode to where Santiago was sitting down, waiting for her.

"You're quick." He said to her, taking another sip from his coffee. Dominique watched as he set his tempting pink lips on the cup and took little sips from it. Lucky cup...wait! What am I thinking?