Chapter Nine: Anniversary Date (Part III)

"Such a lovely woman Santi!" The quite middle aged woman with jet black wavy hair said to her son. Estefania Perez, Santiago's mother, stood beside her husband as the two gazed at the beautiful woman standing with their son.

"Thank you so much madam and congratulations on your anniversary." Dominique said politely.

"And she's polite too." Guillermo added with a smile that made the age marks on his face more definite. He has dark hair too but was covered with grey hair all around. Dominique looked at the two and realized how much of a wonderful couple they are. They look good together and they loved each other so much for 24 years. Who knew the story behind their love that made it last so long? Lucky....

"You know it's not so easy finding decent women these days, Dad." Santiago mentioned.

"Well I hope you're enjoying the evening dear... Sorry, I didn't catch your name." Estefania said to her.

"Dominique. Dominique Acosta."

"Lovely name. I think she shares the name with your longtime friend erhhh..."

"No honey, that's Deborah." Estefania corrected her husband.

That doesn't even rhyme. Dominique thought, letting out a slight giggle. The three looked at her, making her cringe.

"Let's not take much of your time again. Both of you, enjoy yourselves. Get going now." Estefania said, practically shooing them away. Santiago and his date turned and walked away from them.

"He might have made the right choice this time." Estefania told her husband with excitement.

"I really hope she's the one."
______________________________

"Your parents are so nice." Dominique mentioned.

"Everyone says the same thing." Santiago replied Dominique. "I guess that's many people know and love them so much."

"Yes, that and the fact that they have billion dollar companies and investments." She added to the conversation.

He chuckled, "Yes, that too."

She smiled just watching him chuckle. The last time she saw him laugh was when he invited her to this dinner.

"24 years of love. Doesn't sound so easy now does it?" Santiago mentioned.

"No, it really doesn't." She answered.

"My parent's love story is a tale to tell on its own. All the sacrifice and pain just for love. I wonder how they were able to handle it all. Doesn't it drive them crazy sometimes?"

Dominique kept quiet. She didn't know what to say. Honestly, love to her only resulted to pain. Just thinking about it made her feel sick to her stomach. Santiago then released her arm and stood in front of her, staring at her face to face. Dominique nervously looked at him, noticing his piercing gaze.

"Tell me, Dominique. Would you sacrifice anything in this world for love?" he asked her curiously. "Would you pass through all the pains of this world just so you could be happy with just one person?"

Dominique's heart skipped hard, heavy beats. So heavy, she could feel them in her throat. She swallowed and felt shivers going down her spine. Her mouth opened an inch, trying to let some certain words slip out but all that escaped was hot air. The words seeped into her head and replayed all over again.

All the pains ... sacrifice...all the pains of this world....happy with one person.... For love?

Thoughts. Memories. It all rushed back into her mind. Everything came in like a movie rolling in a cinema screen in her head.