Chapter One - New Beginnings

"Aren't you gonna congratulate me?" Dom said to Lorraine as she dresses up in a corporate black suit and puts on her black high stilettos. She let her jet black, long, layered hair down which made her look more corporate. Lorraine remains seated on the couch as she plays with her 2 year old son, Michael. Lorraine had on a simple pink and green sweater with jeans and her strawberry blonde hair was packed into a ponytail

"How many times do I have to, Dom?" Lorraine said, "I know you finally got a job at a company. A successful one at that matter,"

"Perez Enterprises,"Dom added, interrupting Lorraine "One of the most successful companies in Seattle..."

"Don't forget America." Lorraine said.

She grabs her Gucci handbag and bends over to kiss Michael goodbye. "I won't be long my little Prince."

"He knows that. After all, I am his mother"

"Yeah, but it seems he prefers me more to you." Dom said jokingly.

Lorraine laughed. "Gosh Dom, I can't remember the last time I've seen you this happy."

"Well honestly," Dom said. She sat on the couch and carried the little boy on her lap. "It's my first day of work and my first time of finally breaking free into the world. I can finally earn enough money to pay off our balances at the same time find a good pre-school For Mike here."

"And also, it's another chance for you to broaden your horizons,"

"What do you mean?" Dom asked.

"You know, socialize, make some friends, meet new people..."

"Lory,"

"Look Dom, you can't keep punishing yourself like this. You're a beautiful woman. Many guys have tried getting to know you but you give them the cold shoulder. Can't you give yourself another chance?"

Dom sighed. "Listen, Lory. I've said this many times and I'll say it again. I made the biggest mistake of my life by getting married then, and he made me realize that it was a mistake. I don’t want that to happen again. He hurt me Lory..."

"That doesn't mean all guys are like him, Dom" Lory advised. "Please Dom, give it another try. Your years are running out. You're 29 already."

"Lory, my life has been amazing for the past 2 years because of you and Mike here. I don’t want that to change. You're my sister and I love you because of all the love you gave to me during my hard times. I want to pay you back."

"But I never asked you to pay me back. My bakery business is just fine."

Dom got up from the couch and arranged herself. Lory took her child back into her arms and he sat on her lap. Lory only wanted the best for her sister. She never trusted that bastard she married 7 years ago. Yes, he was good looking and everything but there was something in him she didn't like. He was a flirt. A total flirt. He even tried flirting with her behind her sister's back. Because of the incident that happened years ago, Dom can't trust any other man in her life again. She can't even trust herself.

"Lory, my words are final. I decided to live my life just me and me alone. I can face the world. I don't need a partner beside me."

Lory sighed out of frustration. "Alright. I tried my best. But any decision you make, I'll always be supportive except if your decision is to kill yourself by falling off a cliff. In that case, I wonユt support you."

Dom laughed at her sister's response and gave her a nice hug. "I'll see you later in the day. Have fun at the bakery. Say hi to Millicent for me."

"Oh, don't worry. Milli's also happy you finally got a job. I'll tell her to make a pretty congratulatory sweater for you."

"She still makes sweaters?"Dom asked.

"Who do you think made this one for me?"

Dom smiled and headed out the door. From there, she got a cab and was driven to the company. On her way, she thought about what Lorraine said. Maybe she should try again. But fear wouldn't let her. She didn't want to be hurt again. Physically or mentally. She even doubts that she'll find someone who'll be a lot better than Julio. To her, all men are the same. If they aren't drug addicts, they're casanovas. If not casanovas, then smokers. It's just too hard to find the right one. But what does it matter? She wants nothing to do with love. Nothing at all. Not anymore. Her life only consists of Lorraine and the baby. No one else can fit into her heart. No one.