Chapter 19

I grinned from ear to ear like the Cheshire cat as I walked back down to the dungeons. I was physically and emotionally exhausted and my heart was slamming against my rib cage so hard I thought it might break. I happily marched into the Slytherin common room, earning a few disturbed looks from those who were still up. Thankfully my brother was not among them. I didn’t waste time going up to my room, happily it was vacant of my roommates. I changed into my nightgown and climbed into bed.  

I fell into a dream about King Bat.

I must have been more tired than I thought because I ended up sleeping right through breakfast. Happily there were no classes on Saturday so I wouldn’t have to face a detention. I stretched my arms over my head and sighed contently, still slightly in a dreamlike trance. I have to admit I was surprised that not even the succubus woke me, perhaps my brother told her to let me sleep. No doubt one of his minions told him of the deranged look I must have had on my face from the previous night. I gazed up at the ceiling of the room and watched as the green reflection from the water danced across the grey stone.

                I moved slowly while getting dressed, there was no way I would be down in the Great Hall before the end of breakfast which was exactly my intention. I must admit, I rather liked having the room all to myself. I found myself staring at a glass mirror against the wall, one of the girls had smuggled it into the dorm from one of the bathrooms because we needed it more…apparently.

                The girl who sat in front of me looked more tired than I remembered. I held a brush limply in my hair before snapping back to reality and forcing it through my tired blonde hair. I half considered crawling back into bed and catching up on some well needed sleep. I felt my eyes close as I stifled a yawn, dropping the brush to the floor and instead combing through my mostly straight hair with my fingers. I gasped in horror when I pulled my hand away.

                Around my hand blonde threads were weaved around my fingers like a spider web. I looked up at the girl in the mirror and quickly peeled away the hair before rising to my feet. I chewed my lip before slipping my wand into a pocket and taking a long route to the Great Hall.                             

“Morning Sleeping Beauty.” My brother playfully joked, a smirk plastered on his face. I smiled half heartedly as I joined his side on the opposite side of the succubus.

                “You looked exhausted so I let her sleep in.” she spoke with a proud air; I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. If anything she knew waking me up early on a Saturday was a crime punishable by death.  Draco chose to ignore her comment, which brought me more pleasure than I’d care to admit.

“So what happened last night with Snape?”  he asked, causing me to flinch slightly.

                “What do you mean?” I asked facing forward and not making contact, “It was detention.” I shrugged as a group of Hufflepuffs walked around us.

                “Blaise said you came in grinning like madwoman.” He stated, I could feel his eyes on the side of my head. The rest of the group fell silent and looked on curiously.

“Blaise should learn to mind his own damn business.” I replied sharply, without actually meaning the tone. out of the corner of my eye I saw my brother frown.

                I took longer strides now, so to position myself further in front of the crowd. “It was detention that ran late, it was probably the lighting.”

“I don’t see why she’s getting so defensive.” The pug said, assuming I couldn’t hear.

I looked over my shoulder and shot the famous glare, contemplating whether or not I should say something but decided against it before turning back around and running further away from the green and silver group.