Chapter 36

The sound of trumpets cut through the air. The crowd was jumping and chanting for their favorite champion, mainly either Krum or Potter at this point. I couldn't help but stare down at the competition in nothing more than a terribly timed disaster waiting to happen. In my pants pocket sat the vial I had stolen from Severus, something I would apologize for later assuming I made it out at all.

My brother was seated higher up with most of the Slytherins chanting for Krum to win over everyone, but specifically Potter. My father was scattered somewhere with the teachers, Snape perched uncomfortably beside him. His eyes were scanning the crowd constantly, whether looking for me or trouble I couldn't be sure.

I looked out over the field, the Quidditch pitch had been transformed into a giant maze of hedges, standing precariously still, something that made me uneasy. I had the foresight to bring a jumper with a hood, which I wore now and looked for the best way in.

"Since both Potter and Diggory are tied for first place they shall be the first to enter the maze." Dumbledore spoke, his voice easily cutting through the noise produced by the spectators. I heard booing from the Slytherin section and rolled my eyes.

My blonde hair was tied up and away from my face not that it would matter once this thing started. I tried not to bounce anxiously as I stood waiting as the two contestants disappeared from sight.

Krum was next, and Fleur followed a few minutes later. I had snooped around the maze as it was being created and found myself at a loss on how to get in other than just pushing through the bushes. Though when I had tried to throw a rock at it the plant sprung to life and snatched the rock out of the air and sucked it in. I wondered if that would be my best bet. I quickly pushed through the crowd into where the locker rooms normally were. I slipped my bag off my shoulder, snatching my wand and placing it on my hip. I snuck into a lavatory that had been fashioned for the tournament spectators and slipped inside. Quickly changing clothes from a fitted hooded jumper and jeans into black slacks, and a pair of trainers I had stolen from my brother, and into a baggy shirt that could have been an undershirt he used for Quidditch when he played. I sucked in a large breath of air before exiting the bathroom and making my way back through the crowd. I slipped around to the side, keeping my head tucked down low and pushed my way around till I got to the side.

Thankfully, there were nearly no people on this side, and conveniently their attention was pulled to the festivities that were happening across the way. I used this to my advantage as I downed the liquid in the vial nearly gagging on the taste and texture.

Immediately, my insides felt like they were being twisted, and changed from within, if I had to take a stab at what it was like to swallow snakes this is what I would imagine. I stood with my knees apart, a hand on each one and tried to breathe evenly, ignoring the feeling of bile creeping into my throat. Then, just as soon as it appeared the nausea was gone, replaced instead by a burning sensation flushing over my entire body. Next there was a melting sensation as if my skin was being melted off completely, I held back the urge to scream. I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt my limbs being pulled in all directions, my shoulders breaking outwards, I was thankful I had taken the time to change beforehand, though the clothes were still a size too small.

Finally the transformation was complete, though I didn't have time to appreciate my new appearance, I only had an hour to track down Harry, not die from whatever monsters they threw in, and also attempting to not be seen by the boys identity I had stolen.

I sucked in a deep breath before pushing through the thorny bushes.

The air was colder almost instantly, the warm light that had been surrounding the task was now darkened into intense shades of blue. I looked from one side to the other not seeing anything but shrubs that had seemed to double in size. I panicked as I looked from side to side, trying to determine which way I needed to go, but failing in seeing a difference I picked up running to the left.