Chapter 24

The Great hall was decorated in hues of red and pink and white which made me physically ill. Valentine's day decorations hung from the walls and had been sprawled on all four of the house tables. It seemed as though the Tri-wizard Tournament had been pushed to the back of everyone's mind, as no one had mentioned it in a few days.

I, myself, was in a much cheerful mood, given the fact that Draco had finally broken up with the succubus which meant I was able to actually hang around him without wanting to set myself on fire. Astoria seemed to back off when I was with him, to my displeasure but seeing as I still had classes with her, and the occasional study group, otherwise known as her writing out the answers and letting me copy them-or rather, rephrase them.

"What's the matter with you?" Draco asked suddenly, elbowing me slightly and causing me to spill juice down my chin.

"Nothing?" I tilted my head, confused as to what he meant, feeling my thoughts retreat back into my head.

He looked suspicious but let the subject drop. From overhead, the screeching of owl mail barely registered until a small box dropped in front of me. It was a small black box with a tiny silver bow adorned at the top. I looked at it curiously before turning to Draco with a curious look.

"What's this?" I asked suspicious. It wouldn't have been the first time he had bought something for a holiday for me, despite my constant insisting that it was embarrassing and unnecessary.

"How should I know, looks like you've got an admirer." He answered. though admittedly sounding a bit more cryptic than curious.

My laugh sounded more like the snorting of a pig. Right.

I picked up the box and shook it close to my ear, it was light and seemed to be empty, that or something that was very light and secured inside. I then inspected it for a name tag but found none. The feeling of being watched made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and for some reason my head seemed to twist in order to look at the staff table.

Cold onyx eyes met mine.

I narrowed my eyes and turned my attention to the box in front of me. I carefully plucked the corner of the wrapping paper and revealed a small velvet box inside. I noticed Draco had moved fractionally closer to gaze down over my shoulder. I kept the box shut and instead buried it in the pocket of my robes. I made a resolve to open it in private.

The rest of the morning the small black box seemed to weigh down my pockets, burning a hole. I couldn't focus on the lessons at all, even despite Astoria's kneeing my leg when it seemed like I had dozed off. My eyes cast downwards, my hand buried in my pocket.

A note slid across my notebook, 'Are you alright?' it read, in a fancy script, the handwriting of A.

I scribbled 'fine, just tired' and passed it back under my arm. Potions class was passing as slow as molasses especially considering the fact we were supposed to be reading, and therefore silent. The past few days had been almost entirely composed of in class essays and pop quizzes with anti cheating quills. So partially I was thankful for the break in the torture.

These days the King Bat remained almost exclusively at his desk during class, much like a coiled snake, snapping at anyone who lingered too long when turning in assignments. He had progressively been getting worse and worse until I had the displeasure to witness his withdrawing points from our own house.

'Maybe his cat died.' She responded pushing the note back on my half of the desk. I sat confused for a moment, trying to imagine a cat that wouldn't run away at the sight of the man. Well, I mean, if Filch could find someone...

The weight in my pocket was driving me insane and without realizing it I had pulled the box out and ran my fingers along it. I peeked up at the desk of the King Bat, and satisfied that he would not snap his head up from grading papers, his nose so close it was almost touching the paper, I cracked the box open.