Chapter 20

I spent a good three hours down by the water before deciding to pull myself together and return to the castle, I felt I had made my point well enough with my brother and if I didn’t return soon he would probably have the Dementors come and drag me back.

I sighed heavily as I took slow steps towards the castle, keeping an eye on the sky, it looked as though any minute the clouds would break and pour an ocean onto me, as if by magic rain came tumbling down. My cheek was numb though I was certain there was at least a mark left behind. Rain seeped through my clothes and left me freezing to the bone; normally this would have bothered me, but the only thing I could think of was what I was going to do about Stefan. I could tell my brother, or a teacher…I shook my head. I still didn’t know what he was threatening to expose, and who exactly was in more danger than myself…at the very least I should find out who his brother was, maybe that would help clear things up. I sighed heavily and moved slower than a crawl through the castle.

                I decided to skip the Great Hall for lunch, mostly because I didn’t feel like facing the embarrassment that came with making a scene, and there truly wasn’t much time left in the block as it was. I instead decided to go substitute the damp fabric sticking to my frame for dry clothes before I found myself sick. The hallways seemed almost too empty as I sauntered through them, the sound of my shoes lightly tapping on the stone floor beneath me. The next task was the following week and I still hadn’t the slightest idea on what was going on. My attention was dragged to the open window that overlooked the lake. Memories from earlier flooded my head and I turned my head quickly, avoiding the scene and continuing down to the dungeons.

The clothes I changed into was a pair of jeans that hung loosely from my hips and a jumper that I had stolen from my brother’s closet before we left. Despite my abundance of clothing, I always seemed to find other people’s things more comforting. I suppressed a laugh, way to be weird Ally.

                I glanced at the stack of books that I had stuffed into the corner and the mound of homework I had to do and shuttered, instead brushing through my hair again and nearly dancing away from my responsibilities. I needed to get some form of motivation in the next few years…

I decided to spend my time staying the in the common room. Mostly because it was still vacant of students, and a certain person wouldn’t be able to slip into the room. I leaned my head back on the black leather armrest on the sofa and stared out the green windows, slightly dozing off. I felt like I was completely forgetting about something and it didn’t dawn on me until a group of girls came chattering through the other side of the portrait. The ball was tonight.

                I looked at the clock hanging on the wall, and nearly cursed, it was already four and I realized that I must have taken a longer nap than I intended. I frowned and felt like kicking myself, I was supposed to be investigating Stefan, not dreaming. I frowned and forced myself off the couch just as my brother entered through the doorway, a look of relief flashing his features.

                “I’m impressed, you didn’t go off and get yourself wounded.” He teased, apple in his hand, and a smirk on his lips.

“Hush.” I replied holding my hand up dismissively.          

                “You do know the ball is tonight?” the thing chimed in, obviously forgetting the mornings events, and nearly shattering the windows with her animalistic smile.

I nodded glumly, not at all thrilled with the prospect of being attached to Stefan all night.            

“Come on, let’s go get ready.” Sang the succubus as she bounded happily towards me, I frowned, there was no reason a Slytherin should be this happy over a stupid ball. But the more I looked around the more I realized maybe I was the odd one out. Girls and boys quickly parted ways on either side of the stairways and disappeared into their dorms. I rolled my eyes and followed after my brother’s date in a much slower pace. It really wasn’t anything new for my brother and I.