Nightmare 3: Recant

Recap:

You woke up in the kitchen.

His presence was in the doorway.

You woke up outside.

He was standing at the edge of the woods.

You woke up.

-+-

It felt like a week had gone by.

Your life had fallen into a hole of endless nightmares and layered dreams. Anything that seemed real turned out to be fake. You were sure that some things really did happen, but you didn't know which ones.

You were put in therapy as soon as the police found out. Apparently, Officer Joe had so carelessly stopped by to check up on you. When you opened the door, you screamed and ran away. You swore that it didn't happen, but he insisted that it did.

"(y/n)? Are you there?"

You had spaced out when the lady was talking about your appointments, so you blinked a couple times and tried to regain attention.

"Yeah," you sighed. You tapped your fingers on the kitchen counter a couple times.

"Well," the woman said, "you won't have to go anymore since you stopped having the nightmares."

That's right. You started lying about your state. You told them that you were sleeping fine and nothing was wrong anymore- that it was just a phase caused by a traumatic experience. Of course, they didn't believe you completely. Joe still had suspicions.

You closed the door after your conversation and lied down on the couch. Even though the sun was out, you felt a strong urge to sleep. You tried not to drift as hard as you could, but something was pulling you deeper and deeper into slumber.

There was something standing next to you.

It was shaped somewhat like a human. It's legs and arms were attached to a head-like thing at the same height. The arms went outwards from the body at first and then curved downwards to become parallel to the legs. It was fully white, had no face, and seemed to be hunched over. All its limbs touched the floor. On the bright side, it seemed to be only your height.

You remained frozen as it watched you from a small distance of two feet away. You didn't dare move a muscle and started debating whether or not you should close your eyes and letting it go away on its own. However, you figured that it wasn't planning on leaving any time soon.

Your heartbeat immediately sped up when it started moving towards you. It wasn't walking... just moving.

You screamed as you danced upwards and slid across the wood towards the front door. You twisted the handle repetitively until you were able to pull back and let the outdoor air be known in your home. You looked back at the creature that was now moving towards you faster and making a weird noise.

You ran into the middle of the road and tried to look for someone. The entire street was completely empty and the sky was pitch black. Since when was it night time? Also, since when was there a full moon for the fifth night in a row? You hadn't noticed it before, but it was a moon tinted with the slightest shade of red. It wasn't normal.

"Hello?!" you called out. You were hoping that someone would hear you and rescue you from the weird thing. It was still moving towards you with mediocre speed. Every second that you laid your eyes in its direction, it looked more and more disturbing. There was blood on its head that started to drip from onto the ground.

You ran in the direction of your friend's house and dashed over the flowers. You banged on their door and left to no avail. The varmint almost caught up when you tripped down the small stairs leading away from the door. You crawled backwards away from it and hit your head on a step.

You woke up sweating on the couch in your living room.

"How much longer will this go on?!" you yelled into the open. You jumped up and screamed, "I hate you! I hate everything you do! You're a fucking monster!"

Silence.

"God, where are my parents?!" you pathetically cried. "Where is everyone? Why is everyone just gone? Who am I?! Who am I supposed to be?!"

Your arm was pulled down by another.

"You have to be quiet," a familiar voice whispered, "or it'll find us."

You were pulled forwards and you immediately knew where you were headed. When you ran in the pitch black, every thud and bang of the grass crushing beneath your feet gave you more of a hint of who this person was.

"J-Jeff?" you questioned. You stopped in your tracks and awaited an answer. Was he trying to save you, or was he fooling you for the fifth time?

There was no reply and you were left alone in the dead of night. It was like no one else existed. The world was silent, except for the trees, and there were clouds in the dark sky. How did it become nighttime so fast anyway?

You were lying if you said you weren't confused. You didn't know if you felt scared or safe. It was like limbo; a state where you are on neither end of the spectrum and your soul and mind are both judged.

When you took your first step into the woods, a white glow appeared in the middle of two trees. You walked towards it in confidence and held your hand out to the orb. When your fingers barely touched the edge, your hand was pulled by another.

The light consumed you and you became blind for a moment. The only working sense you had was your ability to feel, and you felt a warm palm in yours and another source of heat on your face.

The light died down after what felt like forever, and you were able to see the warm feeling that was running through you.

Jeff was in front of you. His hair was slightly moving with the wind and his hoodie was almost lighting up.

"Wh-"

"(y/n), I need you to listen," he started. "I would never hurt you." He locked eyes with you as he continued, "Anything you think I do that involves you getting hurt isn't real," he said.

"I keep having these nightmares," you said.

"I want you to hang in there. It'll all be over soon- I swear," he promised as he hugged you tightly. "This isn't the end of the road."

"I-I don't know what's real anymore," you said as you started to cry.

"This is real," he muttered as déjà vu crossed your face. "I truly and deeply care about you. You just have to be careful."

He seemed too vulnerable. It was like he wasn't even himself anymore.

"He'll find you if you don't and he's way stronger than you and me. You won't be able to escape if he gets to you," Jeff said. He put his hand through your hair and played with your necklace for a moment as if he was taking it all in. It was like he wanted to remember every single feature about you.

"Who is he?" you asked.

He took a deep breath and whispered, "He's coming." He looked into your eyes and mouthed, 'I'm sorry.'

Right before your eyes stood the one person you thought was fearless. A killer was telling you that he was scared. What did that mean for you? You were practically dead.

Jeff gave you a crooked smile.