Nightmare 26: Reckoning

Recap:

"I know you're not evil because..." Jeff started. "Because I don't hate you at all. In fact..."

You leaned back as he closed in the space separating your faces.

"I love you, (y/n)," he whispered. "I truly do."

And with that, both of your fates were sealed.

-+-

The morning sun was always cruel on your skin.

"Hey!" Jeff called as you sat up, stretching your arms.

"Good morning," you mumbled.

"Sleep alright?" he asked.

You nodded and picked your knees off the ground. The grass tickled your leg like happy sunflowers. Your surroundings radiated a harsh light. Feet firmly planted, you glanced at the boy walking down the hill towards you.

"Good," he sighed. "'Cause I think we need to pack up."

"Yeah," you mumbled. "Best not to stay in one spot, I guess..."

Jeff eyed you as he pulled up his sleeves. "You're still not feeling okay," he declared.

You looked away for a moment.

"How many times do I have to say it?" he asked. "How may times do I have to say that you are the most perfect and innocent thing that ever walked this earth?"

You took a deep breath as you shifted the cream hoodie on your torso, almost pricking your finger on the tip of the syringe.

"It's kind of hard to believe a statement like that," you said. "Especially since I've committed a crime greater than-"

"No," Jeff interrupted. "You're just tricking yourself, (y/n)."

"Why do you even stay with me?" you asked. "I might get you killed in the end."

It was true. If Smiley was after your life, it would likely effect Jeff too. Considering that Smiley already made a grudge against him prevalent, you didn't doubt that Jeff's life almost depended on yours.

"That's not true," he said.

"You know nothing about me," you mumbled.

He shouldn't remember you. You didn't even remember you. You both were in the dark about the past.

He shook his head as he said, "Actually, I-"

"Silly (y/n), always asking questions and such," a strange voice rang out.

You jerked your head in the direction of the trees and clung to Jeff's shirt. He did the same.

A white, long jacket moved in the breeze. Underneath it was a man capable of murder. He was so red, you almost felt the need to shield your eyes.

Smiley laughed.

"You two really are cute," he sighed. "If only it was meant to be... See, that would have been a story worth telling."