Nightmare 6: Regret

Recap:

It was a lot of information to handle. You were upset that he kept you clueless for a long time, but you realized that his intentions were good.

"So what now?" you asked. You peered into his eyes and he gazed back at you.

"I'm going to kill Jane and Smiley."

-+-

You woke up in the back seat of the car.

You were leaning your head against the seatbelt and breathing steadily. The sun was directly in your face and your legs were sticking to the leather chair.

You looked over at Jeff sleeping in the drivers seat. His head was tilted back against the head rest and the chair leaned backwards slightly.

It was calm.

You looked out the window at the trees that surrounded all four sides of the vehicle. The wind hitting the leaves and foliage created a beautiful and symphonic sound.

You took off your seat belt and opened the car door. The fresh air hit your face immediately and took over the entire space in an instant. You stood up and took a couple wobbly steps away from the automobile. You stretched your back a little and looked around.

Jeff must have driven to this secluded spot when you fell asleep. You didn't know why he wouldn't just take you to a hotel or back home, but with all the confusion, you decided it would be best not to question it.

"Hey, (y/n)..." Jeff muttered groggily as he closed the car door behind him and walked around the side.

"Hey," you yawned. "Do we need to leave soon?" You crossed your arms and leaned on one hip.

"Not exactly," he replied, "but we can't stay here forever either." He wrapped his arms around you and sighed.

You put your head in his chest and closed your eyes.

"I want to make sure of something," you said.

"What is it?" Jeff asked, pulling away.

You looked up at him and frowned. "I want to know exactly when I fell asleep."

"Midnight. I told you," he said.

"And I only slept for two hours?" you questioned.

"Yeah, you fell asleep at midnight on the tenth night and slept for only two hours. This is the eleventh day," he confirmed, "Why?"

"It's just that... In my dream, when you tried to kill me, it felt too real," you declared.

He shook his head and held your hand. "It didn't happen," he promised. "You said that it was a long dream, right?"

"Yeah, I think so," you said. "And it was really detailed, but I can't remember much now."

"I'm sure it was just your brain putting all your fears into one big nightmare," he explained. "I know it sounds weird, but I tried to talk to you."

"What do you mean?" you asked.

"Well, when you were sleeping I said some things trying to wake you up," he confessed. "I promised you that everything would work out okay and that I would always be there for you."

You actually recalled him saying that.

"In my dream," you muttered, "I think you told me that at one point." You looked down slightly and said, "I'll believe you, for now."

He snaked his arms around your waist and kissed you on the lips. It was kind of passionate, but very sincere.

When you pulled back, you looked away from him and walked back towards the car, leaving him standing alone.

"(y/n), wait..." Jeff called.

"What?" you asked, turning around.

"I don't like how we are now... I don't want you to be mad at me or feel like I'm doing this on purpose," he said.

"I don't know, Jeff... How would you feel if you were in my shoes?" you asked. "What if you couldn't remember anything? The memories you once loved?"

"I understand what you mean, but I can tell you that you didn't like those memories," he replied.

You didn't like them? What memories are not to like? Sure, there are some things you regret or don't like, but we all get over them one day.

"I'm sure that there's nothing I wouldn't want to remember," you bickered, getting angry. You just wanted your memories back, but apparently it was impossible.

"Those two years that we knew each other before all of this were sweet," he declared, "but there are some parts of it that even I wish I didn't know about. I would get rid of those memories if I could."

"Then why don't you?" you yelled. "Take your anger out on yourself for once!"

Jeff stared at you with hurt and guilt in his eyes. He shook his head as he said, "I'm not angry!"

"Vengeance!" you cried. "This is your revenge on them! This has nothing to do with me!" You believed that he was only using you. He just wanted to get back at Jane and Smiley, right?

"Stop it!" he shouted.

"You don't even like me," you said bluntly. There was strain in your voice and your eyes were swimming in sadness.

"That's a lie, and you know it!" Jeff yelled as he grabbed your wrist.

"Let go of me!" you screamed.

He stopped moving completely and just stared into your eyes. Regret and denial showed on his face. He slowly let go of your arm.

You stepped back slightly, but still kept your gaze on him.

"I don't wanna say it again," he mumbled, looking down at the ground, "but there's nothing you can do."

"W-what are you talking about?" you stuttered quietly.

"I love you, and you can't change that. I know that it's impossible for you to imagine, but I fell in love with you over those two years," he said. He sounded like he was repeating something. It was like how an amateur actor would read from a script.

"You won't have enough time with me now to feel the same way, but I swore that I would keep you alive," he cried.

You felt a tear fall onto your cheek as you leaned back against the car. Before Jeff could notice your hurting eyes, you opened the door and sat inside. You slammed the door shut and cried into your hands.

A couple minutes later, Jeff slid into the drivers seat with a blank face. He started the car and drove down the trail until you hit the main road.

After gaining some pity, you asked quietly, "Where are we going?"

Jeff sighed and answered, "The cliff where we met."