Nightmare 32: Regain

Recap:

"Now then," Smiley chuckled. "Time to die."

"You're pretty funny," Jeff said, interrupting the climax of the moment. "I used to look up to you, you know... I used to agree with your views."

You backed away in awe.

"But now I know that you're just a stupid hypocrite."

Jeff sent a fist flying in the direction of the monster's face and knocked him to the ground.

-+-

The sky turned black.

In just a single moment, the entire sky was dull and empty. The sun disappeared completely and was replaced by a fowl being.

You knew it was about to get messy, so you threw off the cream colored hoodie that had been weighing you down.

Smiley made a coughing motion and stood on his hands and knees. Wiping the blood from his nose, he picked himself up and kept his head resting in his hand. The knife in his other palm swayed back and forth as he tried to re-establish balance.

"How does it feel to see demons with your own eyes?" Jeff asked.

The doctor's face changed like a madman on drugs. A smirk crept upon his lips and locked into place, emitting a loud, demonic laughing sound. His irises dilated and bugged out like some sort of pig's eye. Red vines spread throughout the tinted part of his pupils and sprung roses from their thorns.

"I don't need to see demons," he exclaimed. "I already am one!"

Jeff growled and threw himself at the surgeon once again, aiming his blow at the head. He failed miserably and found himself tripping on the rough part of the dirt.

Smiley stood over him and peered down at his pathetic attempt to stop him. The game had already taken control of his life. There was no way he was going to let either of you get away at that point. He was the creator of the sadistic shit you had to endure and he didn't feel like giving you any pity.

All he wanted was a good show.

He hurried over to a tree stump while Jeff tried to get up. A wooden handle stuck out from the back, so he wrapped his fingers around it.

You scavenged the area for any sort of weapon. There weren't any sharp objects besides the ones that Smiley brought. There was a knife in Blair's stomach, but you didn't really want to think about that. It would be your last resort. Actually, maybe you would be able to throw him off the cliff! If only you got your hands on him... He would totally overpower you though.

The doctor walked behind the cowering Jeff and gave a sly smile. In return, he got a pleading hand. He stared at the shaking limb as if it was begging for sympathy and he was just laughing at its uselessness.

He raised the hatchet above his head and sent it crashing down.

The blade moved the air aside as you ran towards the duel in slow motion. You didn't care at that point. You were completely willing to give up your life if it meant ending that demon's plan. You just wanted justice! You wanted Smiley to know that you were not just a damsel in distress. You wanted him to know that you weren't some princess that fell into a hopeless hole!

But you were a little too late.

The metal split into Jeff's back as easy as a knife cuts through cake. Just a foot closer and you could have saved his life. How sad...

A cut like that could never heal.

"Jeff!" you cried, finally reaching him. You crumbled down on your knees and tried to cover his wound.

Smiley turned his back to you and walked a few feet away, laughing. Either he was waiting to sneak up on you, or he was giving you space like the twisted "doctor" he was. And by grasping Jeff's hand in yours, you were giving in.

"It's okay, (y/n)," Jeff said to you. "I'm leaving so that you can be happy for once."

"No," you sobbed. "I can't let you go again. I can't just walk away like I did in Paris!"

He smiled at you and lifted his shaky hand with all his energy to wipe a tear off your cheek. The black behind his eyes started to disappear as the light rain began to fall again. The bright white moon lit up and reflected a sparkle off of his beautiful pupils.

"Goodbye, (y/n)," he forced out. "I love you."

And with that, his sparkling eyes lost their color.

"No!" you cried. "You're not supposed to do this! You're not supposed to leave me like this!"

You leaned down and kissed him on the lips, almost trying to bring him back into a livelier state.

"If you had all your memories, you would know to not do this to me!" you yelled.

And then it hit you.

With all your adrenaline combining into one big gun, you snatched the bloodied, peach hoodie from Jeff's side and forcefully stuck your hand into the pocket. You pulled out the very item that could potentially change the path that everything was heading on.

The tip of the needle shined as a tiny amount of liquid escaped the tube. You placed your thumb on the edge and admired the elegant, tinted medicine that was anything but red.

Without another second to waste, you jabbed the syringe into Jeff's arm. All of the poison slowly ran out and coursed through his blood stream. You just hoped it would reach his brain in time.

His bright white eyes closed as you stared into them.

"Jeff?" you called. "Please, don't go."

You brought your hand to his face and tried to awaken him.

"You can't be dead," you said. "I never told you to go to sleep, Jeff."

You started crying once more, but this time, you didn't believe in your own true feelings and understandings.

"Wake up, Jeff," you cried a bit louder. "Don't go to sleep!"

You realized that your efforts were to no avail and your distraught was replaced with anger. You yelled out into the sky, cursing the name of the enemy.

"I hate you!" you screamed. "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, you heartless monster!"

You rubbed your eyes and slammed your head into your hands.

"You'll die for this!" you yelled. "You'll suffer! You'll pay for everything you've done to me!"

Your tears mixed with the rain that was covering every inch of your body. It was like all the tears you had ever cried decided to pour down from the sky in a single round.

You moved your hands only slightly and turned your head to see Smiley, who was no longer smiling.

"I think you won, (y/n)," the doctor muttered.

You shook your head and crinkled your nose as you felt movement.

Could it be...?

You glanced back at Jeff and scanned over his motionless body. That's when you realized that the eyes you had always looked into- the eyes that always showed demons and spirits dancing together in endless spirals- were just a reflection of their surroundings. His eyes were never a window to his soul; they were a mirror to the soul of society. And temptations gave in for the last time, so he was forced to follow his compelling nature to hate the ways of the world in its entirety.

His hair was black.

You peered down at his lips that were now covered in frostbite and fire.

His skin was pale.

You watched as his eyes shot open and stared up at the gray, soulless sky.

His eyes were red.

He cocked his head to the side, smiled, and muttered, "Johnny's gone now."