Nightmare 23: Retribution

Recap:

It was your last chance.

If you were to go downstairs and cut the rope, Jeff would die before you made it. If you stayed and tried to help him, your fate would be set on a nightmare.

"I'm going to find a way!" you said.

One choice was so cut clear and obvious that it haunted you.

You were supposed to let him die.

-+-

Jeff struggled even more as the loud clicking of the timer snaked through your head. He swung back and forth like a swing just trying to graze his toes on the chair.

You danced around the room looking for a knife or anything sharp. You even tried to pull the metal pole out of the closet, but you were too weak.

14:38.

14:37.

14:36.

You tried to tug on the rope from the edge of the window, but it only made the noose around Jeff's neck tighter. Hearing a small cry from his direction, your mind crumbled into chaos.

You had to save him! It was the least you could do after trying to kill him back at the cabin. That was something you would never forget.

The timer...

What if the timer could stop it?!

You leaped across the room and fumbled the clock in your hands. On the top was a series of buttons that had weird symbols on them. One had a small figure that looked like a roman numeral. Another looked like a circle that was crossed out.

You pressed both, but they didn't do anything. Down to your last resort, you decided to press them all. When you got to the last square, the whole entire machine started to vibrate.

Click.

You heard a thud.

Cocking your head, you tried to hold back tears that decided to show up later than you expected. They burned your stigma.

Why did Smiley do that? Wasn't he someone like Jeff? He always talked about how he was on your side and only wanted the best for you. He couldn't have just switched sides like that... Doesn't he hate Blair? What was even the point in having you and Jeff dead?

Was he a traitor?

Maybe that was it... Maybe Jeff did something to Smiley during those two years. But he helped to resurrect you from your comatosed state. Did he hold a grudge?

Is Jeff really innocent?

No.

But why was it being taken out on you and your normal little life that you had before any of this started to happen?

Jeff coughed behind you and clawed at his throat. He chocked back wheezes of air and gulped chunks of oxygen.

"J-Jeff?" you stuttered. "You're really okay, right?"