Nightmare 19: Radiance

Recap:

The sky opened up and let out a heavy rain. You had never understood what freedom was until you experienced a time without it. That rain felt so real, and it was free. It had a life of its own in its little cycle. You felt one with the rain and the sky- free and without misery.

"We're okay now," Jeff sighed, "right?"

"Of course," you smiled. "Everything is perfectly fine now."

-+-

It had been a week since you were in the dark hands of the devil's spawn. Things were calming down and Jeff started to get back on pace with reality. He didn't care anymore about his memories, probably because he was generating feelings towards you.

"(y/n)..."

He was standing at the doorway of the bedroom staring at you with tired eyes.

"What's wrong?" you asked. You stared back at him from the couch and lowered the TV volume.

He rubbed his eye once more as he said, "I just can't close my eyes."

You shifted a bit on the sofa as he slugged over to it and sat down next to you. He stared out the window at the bright white moon sitting on top of the building next door.

"Why not?" you asked.

"I just can't sleep. I don't wanna talk about why, really," he sighed.

"Maybe you could-"

You were cut off when Jeff leaned over and put his head on your shoulder. He breathed steadily and tried closing his eyes.

"It's hard to sleep alone, you know," he muttered.

You watched in awe as he picked his head back up and pressed his lips into yours. You fluttered your eyes closed and let all feelings of sin escape your mind. All that mattered was that moment and that moment only.

He pulled away after a second and said, "I care about you."

You rested your head on his and replied, "I believe that."

You both glanced at the bright white moon again and smiled. The tiny dots of light around it sang with beauty and harmony as they contrasted the black hole of space. Nothing could ever eat up the stars. They would forever and always be shining, leading the way towards people's dreams and safe havens.

"I'm so glad that you left that syringe there," Jeff said after a minute or so. "I think it would've started a war between us if we took it."

You locked your eyes and imagined the syringe that was now sitting in a drawer in the kitchen of the hotel room.

"Yeah," you lied. "That would have been trouble."

When you looked back out at the stars, they started to disappear. One by one, you were unable to see them. Even the bright white moon was slowly being chipped away at by the dark clouds rolling in.

"Do you want me to sleep with you tonight?" you asked.

"Yeah," Jeff sighed. "That'd be nice."

He stood up and took your hand as you walked into the bedroom. You watched him move away the covers and slip in without hesitation. You snuggled into the blankets and smiled.

The clouds went away.

"I didn't think I would make it through this," Jeff said as he gazed deeply into your eyes.

"I didn't think I would still be alive at this point in time," you replied.

The bright white moon smiled back at you as the last pieces of it disappeared forever.

You had dreams that night of remorse and catastrophe.

You woke up in the morning to find yourself in Jeff's arms. You moved slightly, causing him to bolt his eyes open and jump. He looked at you and let out a breath.

"Are you okay?" you asked.

"You scared me," he said.

"Sorry," you muttered. "I think you got really jumpy."

"Well, what would you do if everything's been out to get you?" he asked.

You sighed and moved away the covers. The sun from the window was being blocked by the shades connected to the top of the frame, so you moved them away and looked at the distant, busy road that was a couple stories below your height.

The whole situation you were in was complex. It still didn't seem over. You figured that you were forgetting about a very important detail. What was holding you back? Why couldn't you rest in peace? Why did you still want to jump out the window?

"(y/n)?" Jeff called, snapping you back into truth. "Did you hear that?"

"Hm?" you puffed, turning around and cocking your head at his deranged expression.

"I think there was a knock on the door," he said.

You slowly walked through the frame of the bedroom and gazed at the hotel room's door. It was wide open.

You stepped back into the bedroom and shut the door quietly. You held your finger to your mouth and looked at Jeff.

"What's wrong?" he asked as he stood up behind you.

"Someone broke in," you peeped.

Jeff grabbed your hand immediately and pulled you back. He motioned for you to stand in the corner and you obeyed. You watched as he popped the metal rod off the top of the closet's shelf, much like he had in Paris.

He narrowed in the distance towards the door and reached for the handle. He opened it mechanically and looked out.

You followed as he creeped into the kitchen. You looked around at the vacant area. There was absolutely no one there.

You heard a noise come from your right, so you snapped your head to the side, surprised to see nothing. The only thing there was the worn-out pastel wallpaper plastered to the wall.

"I told you I'd be back."

Jeff wrapped his arms around you as you both spun to see a familiar face.

Black dress. Black hair. Black eyes. Black soul.

"Who dies first?" the girl asked.