Nightmare 21: Republic

Recap:

He laced his arm around you and walked down the sidewalk with ease. Everyone else on the street gave you glances of satisfaction and happiness as they walked in the opposite direction with their umbrellas raised. They zoomed by like wind in a sunny forest.

The rain hit your head like bullets. It felt like little needles were poking into your skull and shoulders, grinding back and forth on your soul.

It's funny because it wasn't raining yet; there were only dark clouds forming.

-+-

You and Jeff walked through the forest on the blanket of dirt that was infested by roots crawling out of the ground.

You followed a path leading to a cemetery. The closer you got, the more dead the flowers seemed. Their pedals started to fall off and get sucked into the bottomless hole of earth. The thornes on the roses appeared to curve inwards more and more and become sharper every step you took.

"I wonder where we can stay tonight," you sighed.

"I just wanna find a place where we can be alone together. Some place where we can hide from that girl and the doctor," Jeff replied.

"I'm kind of sick of running and hiding," you mentioned to him. "But it's the only way to stay safe right now."

"Right," he sighed. "I think we need to stay away from them until we have the bigger guns."

You looked down. "We have the bigger guns," you muttered. "We just don't know how to use them."

Jeff laughed and nuzzled your shoulder closer to his side as you smiled.

"We've been walking for a while," he started. "Do you wanna stop for a bit?"

"Sure," you said. "I think I see a graveyard up there. Maybe there will be a seat."

After another minute or so, you stepped onto the burial ground. There wasn't any fog, but the missing sun seemed to cast an eerie feeling over the tombs. It didn't help that there wasn't a single person there other than you and Jeff.

"Well, this is kinda creepy," he laughed.

You smiled and nodded at him. He took your hand and led you over to a long bench bordered by a coiled metal. The wood crinkled as you sat down.

"What's that tombstone say?" you asked, pointing over to a tall cross perched on the top of the hill. You couldn't see that well.

"I think it's blank," Jeff said. "Maybe we're facing the wrong side."

"But that one's facing us," you mumbled as you moved your finger in a different direction.

Jeff's face turned to stone and almost matched the stillness of the graves.

"Are you okay?" you asked.

"That..." his voice trailed off. "What does that say?"

He stood up and let go of your hand. He stumbled over to the grave you had been pointing at and widened his eyes.