Nightmare 24: Redeem

Recap:

"Oh my God," he trailed off.

"What is it?!" you asked.

He didn't take his eyes off the black void that was taking over the hallway. From your spot, you couldn't see the "cure" that was apparently left behind the door. Jeff, however, was able to see it clearly. He wasn't moving at all, probably struck with a bat of fear.

"It... It's a-"

Bang.

-+-

Run. Hide. Run. Hide. Run. Hide.

How much longer was that line going to describe your entire life?

The bullet created a large hole in the door and made its way towards you. The spinning shaft of its shape whistled through the air and hit its target before you could even complete your sentence.

Your ear was screaming.

You felt something warm trickle down your neck and onto your collarbone. It smelt like wilted roses.

"(y/n)," Jeff called as he turned to face you. "(y/n)!"

The realization crossed your mind. The bullet grazed your ear.

The cure is death.

You moved your hand towards your wound, but Jeff grabbed hold of your wrist and didn't let it go any further.

"Don't touch it," he said softly. "It'll only hurt more."

"I don't know what it feels like," you whispered.

It was true. You couldn't feel anything anymore. You couldn't feel the blood on your shoulder. You couldn't feel Jeff's fingers that were wrapped around your wrist. You couldn't even feel the tension that had slowly grown between the both of you.

"We have to go," Jeff said.

You lowered your eyes.

"I promise as soon as we get out," he started, "I'll take you to a hospital and we can tell the police about everything. We won't have to run anymore."

You shook your head.

"They'll still find us. The police won't be able to catch them," you replied.

Jeff started to tug on your hand.

"We can talk later," he said. "We need to leave now."

With impaired hearing in one ear, you followed him out as best as you could. He pulled you around the three-legged stand that had the gun perched on the very top.

After gaining a sort of sense, you ran down the hallway and pushed the button for the elevator. It endlessly soared towards the sky and finally stopped at your level. The ding was silent.

Jeff pulled you into the metal box as you wiped the blood from your shoulder with your shirt.

The ride down was vacant- silent, yet somehow, it still echoed in your other ear.

When the doors opened, you immediately darted out, finally feeling the pressure and time crunch of the situation.

After a moment, you noticed that Jeff wasn't following you. You turned back around with clueless posture and saw him standing in the very center of the elevator with his head towards the floor.

You held the door open and called his name.

"Jeff-?"

"I fucking killed him," he said.

He shot his head up to stare into your eyes with agony. His pupils started to give a red outline as blue caved in from his brows.

"What?" you asked. "Killed who?"

He muttered, "I killed my own..."

You took his hand and pulled him out of the container, snapping him away from his fantasy. You didn't put the thought away completely, but you didn't feel like pressuring him for information at that very moment.

He silently nodded at you, understanding what you were doing. When he took another look at your ear, his eyes were swarmed with hints of anxiety and fear, which rubbed off on you.

With your vision clouded, you began to see small pictures replaying before your eyes. You saw the metal tube that you so carelessly inserted into the capsule labeled 'J.' You saw the hole in the wall from the bullet that was supposed to go into Jeff's brain. You saw the look on his face when Smiley stood up in rage.

Jeff started to pull on your wrist, causing you to stumble forward. You quickly shot back up on your feet and followed him towards the door of the lobby.

The light from the outside started to drizzle in through the melted glass of the windows. In perfect sight, there stood the end of the tunnel. But why? Why would walking through that door mean so much to you? Were you doing away with the past? Were you moving on?

Maybe you weren't supposed to be there yet.

The light started to fade away as the glass cracked into tiny little pieces. The shattered sound rang though your ears with dented format.

Your side started to hurt again.

Jeff swooped you off your feet in slow motion and began to run towards the light that was slowly fading away in the distance. It just kept getting further and further away as it teased his grasp.

You were completely deaf. Nothing was going through your ears, though Jeff's mouth was indeed moving. You were sure that he was trying to tell you to hang in there or stay with him. However, you just couldn't help but let your mind wander in this paradox of a repose.

You thought about the incident again. The incident at the cabin.

You felt terrible for what you did. It was a hard feeling to explain, but you were positive that you'd never felt it before. Maybe it wasn't a bad feeling, but it really did make you feel worthless and angry.

You had to tell Jeff.

You had to say that you almost killed him. You couldn't deal with the guilt any longer. It was slowly chipping you into slivers of insanity and remorse, and you didn't like being the one with the chisel.

You made your decision.

You were going to tell him the truth about it all. You were going to tell him that the thought of him dead flashed your energy on that day. You were going to tell him that your thoughts deviated for a moment and controlled you. You were going to tell him that the smallest inkling of an incentive took over at that point in time.

You were going to tell him that you were sorry.

Your demons finally fancied your vision and swarmed your mind with unconsciousness.