Nightmare 20: Recoil

Recap:

"I told you I'd be back."

Jeff wrapped his arms around you as you both spun to see a familiar face.

Black dress. Black hair. Black eyes. Black soul.

"Who dies first?" the girl asked.

-+-

Jane's little sister stared back at you with a large smirk on her face. She narrowed her eyes at Jeff's pathetic attempt to block you from whatever pain you might endure. It was almost instinct for him.

"Listen," Jeff started. "I have no idea who you are. I lost all my memories and I don't understand why you're attacking us."

Blair glared at Jeff and pulled out a throwing knife from behind her back. She twirled it around and you stared helpless at the blade. It wrapped around her fingers just like the red string of fate.

"Well, I still remember what you did to my big sister, and you're going to pay," she recoiled.

She threw the knife and you flinched. Jeff cried out as it plunged into the hand that was guarding your heart. He grabbed at his wrist and tried to pull out the object that was causing his agony to live on.

The girl started to creep towards you, but you were frozen. You were shackled by the chains of fear once again, but your scorching desire to break free still wasn't enough. Your soul tried to pound it's way out. Bang, bang, bang- It was desperately trying to leave your icy body, but there was no exit. You couldn't take the easy way out again.

Blair smiled as she held up another knife to your face and taunted you with laughter.

"Why can't you move?" she asked.

You gulped and tried to make a motion or do something of the sort, but absolutely nothing was allowing a muscle to work properly. You couldn't get away from her stupid aspiration.

Before she could do anything to you, Jeff used his good hand to throw the other knife at her. She tumbled to the right of it, but still suffered a tremendous injury. The blade flew like an arrow through her nose and chipped away lots of tiny pieces from her face. The mask she had previously been wearing cracked and left a hole near her eye, exposing the sin she had fought so hard to keep hidden.

She screamed in pain and let out something similar to a growl. She reached up to her tainted skin and pulled the dagger out slowly, causing the blood to casually trickle down her cheek and create a line of continuity between the blade and the cut.

Jeff huffed over to you and guarded your figure again. He let out some sort of energy that felt angered. You could sense a type of knightly instinct coming from his body. He used the last bit of his protective shield to state, "If you don't leave now, I won't hesitate to do whatever it takes to protect this girl."

Blair made an annoyed sound and declared, "You won't be around that much longer! Revenge is stronger than love!"

You finally squeaked out some sort of noise and let your voice run free. You tried to reason with the enemy, but no one was able to hear what you were saying. Your cries were only in your head once again.

"Revenge is something I have too!" Jeff yelled.

On who? Who was he mad at? Smiley?

"Just stop!" you cried out.

The whole room went silent as your words echoed. You stood in Jeff's arms just churning the whole ordeal. You stared into Blair's eyes with a pleading look on your face. You explored her feelings through the window to her soul and were surprised to see a bit of remorse.

Her eyes dropped for a moment as she lowered the knife. Before you let out your relief, she lit up again and scowled.

"I'm going to kill you," she mumbled. "I'm never going to stop coming back! If you stop me now, I'll only come back later!"

Jeff ducked his head and looked down at your eyes that you sent up at him.

"I guess we'll see you later then," he said.

And with that, Blair was gone.

You immediately ran to the other room and grabbed a small towel from the rod. You dashed back over to Jeff and reached for his hand.

"No, (y/n)- I'm fine!" he declared.

You shook your head as you forcefully took his wrist and started to wrap the towel around his injury.

"I'm not going to let you walk outside bleeding from a hole in your hand," you said.

Jeff made you look into his eyes and asked, "Why?"

You perched down on your knees as he looked between your eyes.

"Why, (y/n)? Why do you care?" he asked again.

You let go of his wrist when he pulled away.

"Because," you started, "I... I can't figure out what's going on anymore. Life is too confusing."

He moved a portion of your hair away from your face and rested his forehead on yours.

"I don't get it," he said. He started to sound like he was upset. He gritted his teeth and followed your jawline with his hand to the back of your head.

"You... You don't get what?" you asked.

"I don't know why you feel that way," he muttered. "I don't remember why."

You thought you saw a tear escape his closed eyes. He put his other hand around your head and placed his chin on the top of your skull.

"Please tell me why," he cried. "Tell me why you love me."

"Because I-"

"Tell me why I love you," he restated.

You closed your mouth and felt extreme pity. You felt so bad for him. He didn't even understand his own feelings. You thought back to when you were like that. You would give anything to get rid of that feeling.

"Listen," you started. "I'm really, really confused about the past. But I've dealt with it in ways that I shouldn't have."

The boy sitting in front of you stared into your eyes with the most sorrowful, longing expression you had ever seen. His eyes spoke a thousand words as they lit up with love and confusion and so many other indescribable things that made you want to care for him forever. He was begging for an answer- some kind of acknowledgement that he wasn't insane and that he didn't have to know everything to be great. And you weren't able to give that to him.

"Do we need to leave again?" you questioned, avoiding the subject completely.

Jeff moved his head away from yours and gazed into your eyes. He was obviously even more upset that you weren't able to answer his question. Giving up, he replied, "Yeah."

The red string was turning black, and there was no going back.

You walked out of the hotel hand in hand. Your slow steps lasted a thousand years. It took a million more to reach the exit of the hotel. Jeff's fingers brushed yours as you silently told him about your worries. He smiled a fake smile down at you and slowly opened the door.

He laced his arm around you and walked down the sidewalk with ease. Everyone else on the street gave you glances of satisfaction and happiness as they walked in the opposite direction with their umbrellas raised. They zoomed by like wind in a sunny forest.

The rain hit your head like bullets. It felt like little needles were poking into your skull and shoulders, grinding back and forth on your soul.

It's funny because it wasn't raining yet; there were only dark clouds forming.