Last Smile: lacRimosa (Epilogue)

You woke up in the middle of the night and allowed your eyes to adjust to your surroundings. You moved away your covers and stood up slowly, a daze stuck in your insignificant head. The door was only a couple steps away, so you tugged slightly and heard the creak of the hinges echo throughout the hallway.

You slipped down the stairs and shuffled your way into your surprisingly spotless kitchen. Sighing, you gracefully grabbed a cup from the night before and filled it with cold, fresh water. The trickle of the liquid was peaceful and calm, reminding you of your neutral state of mind.

A noise reached you from the end of the corridor and you froze on instinct. It was like you had been through so much hardship that your body knew well enough to not shake off strange instances. A tiny feeling inside your gut told you to flee, but you had no idea why.

"(y/n)?" someone called out. "Why are you up so late?"

You gazed at the brown-haired boy as he stepped out of the shadows and rubbed at his eyes. He reminded you of an innocent animal that had the capability to shock anything with its actions.

"I thought you went to bed an hour ago," he yawned.

Your eyes were darting without movement as he came closer and wrapped his warm arms around you. You felt the need to glance at his chin, above the tingling incentive that kept you still.

He slid his hand through your hair and muttered, "I'm tired."

You stared at his blue eyes with curiosity. They had a bright sparkle in them. It was like every time you made contact with the tiny orbs, they shined even more. It was weird because they didn't give off a benevolent feeling. You tried to form words in your mouth, but you were busy reading his pupils.

"Did you have a nightmare?" he asked. "Do you wanna sleep with me tonight?"

His voice was caring, but his face was neutral. You could tell that his mind was smirking and maybe even laughing at you, but none of it showed in his features. You realized that the small feeling in your stomach was being caused by him. Something about him told you to be careful.

"I..." you began.

He brushed your cheek again, running his fingers around the red that was casually growing on them.

"Who are you?" you asked.

The bright red moon smiled.

And the boy also started to smile just a tiny bit wider as he replied, "Your boyfriend, of course."