Part Fourteen: Mistakes

You looked up, surprise crossing your face when you saw Odin leaning over the railing of his and Frigga's balcony. You turned bright red when you realized he could have heard everything from your and Loki's previous....encounters on the roof. You quickly assured yourself he didn't, seeing as you would have been in deep trouble if he had.

"What?"

"Talk to him," Odin repeated. "Forgive him."

"But..."

"Do you love Loki?"

"Yes, of course I do. I wouldn't have fought to marry him if I didn't love him."

"Then you must forgive him."

"But..."

"All manner of people, be they Midgardian, Asgardian, Alfheimr, or another, make mistakes in their lifetimes. Loki is no exception. If you truly care for him, find in yourself the capacity to forgive him for his past, and instead look to your future together."

You sighed, turning your head. "I want to. I want to so badly. But I don't know if I can forgive him. I'm so conflicted about it. When I think about Lecessa, and what must have happened to her, I just feel terrible inside."

Odin met your eyes. "I am not the greatest father in the universe, and I think Loki was afraid he would turn out like me. It is no secret, I have always favored Thor, my biological son. But, that does not mean that I do not love Loki and do not care about his happiness. Although, because he feels this way, Loki has often shied away from coming to me when he is in a tough situation. He did come to me for help once, however, when he first found out Lecessa was pregnant. He asked what he should do. I gave the best advice that I could, and told him that he should do what he felt would be best for Lecessa and the child-to-be. He decided that their lives would be better without him as a part of them. I believe that even today it is a decision that still saddens him."

"That's....heartbreaking," you whimpered. "But... that doesn't make it right. He left her when she needed him most."

"________, have you ever done anything that you truly regretted?" Odin asked you.

You sighed. "Errrrrrrrr....... yes," you replied reluctantly, not wanting to think about that particular time again.

"And did the people you hold most dear forgive you for it?"

"Yes, eventually."

"Then forgive Loki for what he has done and now regrets." Odin stared down at you. "There will come a point when you realize that forgiving someone is a lot easier than remaining angry and bitter."

"But..."

"Besides," Odin continued. "It is not as though he could fix things with Lecessa now."

You cocked your head to the side, getting an idea. "Why not?"

Odin looked down at you, worry on his face.

"Maybe she disappeared, but I bet Heimdall will know where she went."

"I am not certain it is wise to re-open the wounds of both Lecessa and Loki caused by their relationship. In addition, it is not recommended for one so far along in pregnancy to travel the Bifrost."

You stared down at your rounded stomach. "I guess I am starting to look pretty big, huh?" Sighing, you looked back up at Odin. "But I'm going to have to anyways. If Lecessa can forgive Loki for what he did to her, then I'll be able too as well. If not, then..." You trailed off, thinking for a moment about what would happen if "not" became a real thing. "I don't know," you sighed. "Still," you continued after a moment thinking, "I need to go. Knowing everything turned out okay for Lecessa might just be the only way I'll ever be able to forgive Loki."