Chapter 2

The sun had rose, and all were preparing their leaving. Dawn found herself sleeping comfortably on the wooden floor, though it was icy cold. However, Dawn was used to sleeping anywhere but a mattress. Whether it was grass, wood, hay, or even rock, she found a way to be comfortable. Bofur gently woke the sleeping girl.

"Wake up, lass. We're leaving." Dawn rose to her feet, and went to the door, where Fili was gathering his weapons. He then saw the girl, who had nothing to arm herself with but two daggers on a belt.

"Don't you know of the danger ahead of us? Two daggers won't protect you," Fili commented. The girl looked at her daggers. Though they have helped her get away from the two times she has been attacked by orcs, she did not know whether or not two daggers will work on other creatures. Fili looked at all his weapons, seeing what he could give her. So he gave her his bow, and his arrows.

"Here. Maybe Kili can show you how to use it. He's a better archer." Dawn smiled and thanked Fili. She then put the arrows on her back, and went outside with the others. She then learned they were leaving without Bilbo, thinking that he would not participate in the journey. Then people began to take wages on whether or not he would show up at the last minute. Dawn felt it silly to bet money on whether or not a single person should show up. So she ignored the idea.

They had ponies all lined up. Sixteen in total. Gandalf had his own horse though. Dawn pictured Gandalf riding a pony, and thought how painful it must be for the pony to have a man ride it. She laughed. Dawn then noticed that Kili somehow couldn't seem to get on his pony. So she helped him out by pushing the young dwarf up to the saddle. Though he thanked the girl, he turned red in the face in embarrassment.

Finally, when the sun rose to the sky fully, and there was nothing but blue skies, they were riding in the woods. Then while riding, Dawn noticed a squirrel just sitting in its tree. Then it began to run to jump for the next branch across the path.

"Now gentlemen, allow me to demonstrate." The squirrel was just about to jump, and the girl had her bow aimed and ready. "Bofur! Catch!" Dawn then took one of her arrows and shot the squirrel through the eyes before it could land on the other branch, and it fell into Bofur's hands. He looked back and smiled at the girl, holding the dead rodent up in the air as if it was a piece of jewelry made in Erebor. Fili's eyes widened with amazement. She aimed a perfect shot. Kili, though amazed, felt a little embarrassed how she might be a better archer than himself.

"I thought you said you didn't know how to use a bow," Fili said, still with amazement upon his face.

"I never said anything of the sort, Fili," the girl laughed, and she grabbed hold of the rains of the pony once more. They then heard a sound. A call.

"Wait!"

Then out of the path came a running, wheezing Bilbo Baggins, with a large bag too big for himself packed, and contract in hand.

"I signed it." The hobbit then handed the long piece of paper to Balin, who examined the contract to see that in joy, the hobbit did sign the contract.

"Everything appears to be in order," said Balin. "Welcome Master Bagging, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

"Get him a pony," said Thorin. Before the hobbit knew what was happening, Dwalin and Gloin lifted the little creature from the ground, and he soon found himself on a saddle of a brown pony, Myrtle. Now, they were officially ready for their journey.

The first day felt like four long days without darkness, based on how much land they passed already. In already one day, they were outside the territory of the Shire, and the village of Bree: they were now in the area and beyond where the hobbit has ever been. Dawn felt more than thrilled when the sun set and they went to set up camp. Tonight they would be able to eat real meat that night. Soon, half the company was asleep, snoring moths, while the rest were awake by the fire, smoking their pipes.

Dawn was half asleep by the ponies, comfortably on the soft grass. The air whistled a soft spring breeze, which made her comfortable. No, peaceful. She felt it was the most peaceful night she had had in a long time. That was, until a faint scream came from the air.

Her peace soon ended. She knew this sound too well. This was a scream of not of pain, peril, or fear. It was an orc scream. Terrified, the girl ran to the trees. She leaped from one tree to the next, until she was at the top of the tallest tree. She was breathing heavily, and felt hot tears running down her face. Then in pain, she began to rub her arm, where her mark still remained. There, at the top of the tree, she sobbed for what felt like an hour.

"Dawn! Are you there?" a voice called out from the ground. Dawn gasped in fear. She was so terrified. She slowly looked down to see in her surprise, Fili. The young dwarf prince then caught sight of her bright green eyes, and sighed with relief.

"Dawn! Come down. There's no need to be afraid." Dawn, seeing that the atmosphere was now safe, she climbed down from the tree to Fili. He was concerned where she ran off to after Thorin scolded him and Kili for making a joke out of orcs a few moment earlier. Then Balin told them of his hatred of orcs, and that certainly did not make the brothers feel any better from their guilt.

When Dawn finally got down from the tree, the hot tears had made her face red of tear marks, and still continue to do so. Why was she crying? Why was she frightened? There were 13 dwarves and a wizard in her presence that were there to protect her, especially Fili and Kili, who were assigned by Thorin, to protect her. Why was she suddenly like this? Fili placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Dawn, what's wrong?" Fili asked. The girl's tears had now stopped, and she calmed down. She looked to her side where Fili's hand was rested. He felt her shoulder relaxing.

"No one has told you why you must protect me," she said quietly. Fili was stunned. No, no one; not even Thorin or Bofur had told them why she had to be protected. He suddenly felt both eager to find the answer, and nervous to know what it was. Dawn then rolled up her sleeve, revealing a large red scar on her arm. It was very large, and Fili didn't even have to ask if it was an orc mark. It was.

"It's because of my eyes. It's like a target on my back. They want me dead! I try, but they always find me!" Dawn's tears had returned to run down her face, and she began to cry on Fili's shoulder. He could practically feel her fear rushing through her veins. He began to comfort the girl by hugging her gently. He then lifted her chin. By placing his hand on her cheek, he gently wiped away her tears from her face. Then he placed both hands on her shoulders.

"Dawn, listen to me. You will be protected. No matter what you might think, I swear to you nothing will hurt you. I promise." Now the dwarf prince was going to be more than cautious with her. He now knew what they were up against. After all, when there's a prophecy, there is always one who wants it to prevent it from occurring. When Dawn calmed down, they went back to camp, and sat down at the fire place. She felt better being in front of the fire, where it was warm. Another scream came from the distance. She grabbed Fili's arm in fright.

"It's alright, Dawn. I'm here. Nothing's going to harm you." The girl then calmed down once more, and this time for good, until another day.

Now everyone was asleep. Except for Fili. He just couldn't. Sleep evaded him while his troubles ran through his mind. All he could think of was Dawn's bruise on her arm, and the tears running down her face. Why didn't his uncle tell him why Kili and he had to protect her earlier? Why did he have to hear it from her, and it clearly made her uncomfortable? It didn't make any sense. He then turned to look at Dawn, now fast asleep. He wondered what she was thinking, what she was dreaming. Then without warning, she sleepily moved, and placed her head on his chest. Fili lay still. This was surprising. He would have moved oh so slowly, and place her in a new position, and yet, he didn't. She looked so peaceful. For some odd reason, Fili didn't want her to move either. So he remained in the same spot, with the sleeping girl.
'Dawn, I promise,' he thought to himself. 'I will protect you.'