Chapter 23

Everyone in the household now had a part to play. The dwarves had the job of placing Kili on the table and keeping him there. Sigrid had to get cloth for bandaging. Tilda had to get water for the Kingsfoil. Bain and Nendes stayed outside to make sure no one would disturb the process. As for Tauriel, she was to do the actual healing.

"Hold him down!" Tauriel ordered over Kilis screams. Fili held onto his brother's hand tightly as Dawn held Kili's head. Tauriel then began to chant some words in elvish as she rubbed the Kingsfoil together and pressed it into the wound, which made Kili cry out. Sigrid, seeing the challenge they were having, came to help Oin by holding down his legs.

"Tilda!" she called. The little girl did what her sister wanted and helped her hold his legs down, resisting his protests. And as the process continued, all looked in amazement as Kili was becoming calm slowly, as if her voice was enough to sooth him. It soon came to a point where he no longer needed anyone to restrain him.

They soon stepped aside and watched. Nendes came back and did her own chanting. She had Tilda bring hot water and she made a mixture with the Kingsfoil into some form of a tea, and helped Kili consume it as she whispered her own chant. She then placed a basket of walnuts under his head. When she finished she stood next to Fili and Dawn.

"Out of all the healers in the Woodland Realm, Tauriel is the most skilled. Your brother is in good hands."

"But what was that drink for?" Fili asked.

"It was to heal the bone. So when he regains his strength, he will be able to walk as if there was nothing wrong." Fili fell silent. He continued to look at the elf in a certain way, but he did not know how to say it to his kins long known enemy. So Dawn said it for him.

"And the walnuts?"

"Personally, I do not know. Tauriel told be to do so."

"We all are grateful for you and your friend's services." Nendes lightly smiled to the girl, then returned her attention towards Tauriel and Kili. Fili and Dawn moved toward the kettle and watched the Oin then approached the three, seeing that Tauriel was bandaging the wound with some cloth. "I heard tell of the wonders of elvish medicine. That was a privilege to witness." Kili slowly moved his head and barely opened his eyes to see the elf.

"Tauriel?" he asked in disbelief.

"Lie still." Tauriel replied as she returned to tending to his wound.

"You cannot be her." Tauriel looked up in confusion towards the dwarfs remark. "She is far away. Sh-She is far, far away from me, and...she walks on starlight in another world." he sighed. "it was just a dream." Tauriel looked at the dwarf, not able to believe what she was hearing. Kili then weakly reached for her hand and tried to lightly hold it to see if she was not a spirit. And although he could feel her flesh, he still had doubts.

"Do you think she could have loved me?" he asked.

Fili couldn't help but gasp. He and Dawn were the only one's to hear about this. Everyone else in the room was busy getting rid of the dead orcs in the home. His brother, in a very blurred way, admitted he had grown affectionate for this elf. He admitted his love to her.

"Please don't tell me that you disapprove of Kili's choice," he heard Dawn whisper.

"I'm not saying anything. But if anyone else heard I know they would. And if Thorin knew..." Fili said. Both knew that elves and dwarves weren't the greatest of allies. And of course, there hasn't ever had a case where a dwarf had fallen in love with an elf. The only case of two different races being able to reproduce is if the elf wed a man or a dwarf married a man or even possibly a hobbit. But never an elf with a dwarf. And all knew Thorin had one of the strongest grudges against the elves, especially those that were from Mirkwood. Fili literally had no idea what Thorin would do if he found out. He had no idea what to say about it. He then made up his mind: he'll forget it, and wait for his brother to tell him. By then he would surely have an opinion about the situation.

Fili then noticed that Dawn had left her side. She was now sitting with Sigrid and Nendes, with Tilda on Sigrids lab. She was still a bit distraught from the orc attack and the situation with Kili, so Sigrid asked for help. And they began to sing. Sigrid was an alto, Dawn was the soprano, and Nendes was somewhere in between. It was a simple song sung my man, but somehow they all knew it. Now Fili had never heard Dawn sing, but for the most part, it sounded beautiful.

All
Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay
Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay

Sigrid
Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll sing you tomorrow
Bless you with love for the road that you go

Nendes
May you sail far to the far fields of fortune
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet

Dawn
May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

Sigrid and Nendes

May you bring love and may you bring happiness
Be loved in return to the end of your days

Sigrid and Dawn
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay

All
May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

All
Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay
Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay
Loo-li, lai-lay

When the song ended, Tilda hugged her sister tightly. But just then, there was a loud sudden gust of wind. The house fell silent. Bain looked out the window, and his mouth widened. Dawn and Fili looked out the window as well and saw the entrance to Erebor with the light of fire, and the sound of large flapping wind continued. It couldn't be. It wouldn't be. How could this have happened? Were they alive? Were they dead. And what was soon to become of this town and its citizens once the beast had reached them. Surely he would not show any mercy. There then was a soft murmur in the wind, although all knew it was the sound of something roaring. "I am fire. I am...DEATH!"

What the song actually sounds like: