Chapter 14

For the past several days everyone was on the edge. Especially when there was an orc pack on their tail. Not to mention that they were close to the deadline of the door to Erebor and they were farther than expected from the mountain. But strangely Fili wasn't as concerned as the others. Because his mind was too focused on Dawn. It was official: He had fallen almost madly in love with her. Of course this wasn't the right time, but when they were at a moment where they were safe, he would tell her that he loved her. But for Dawn she felt bottled up. What with the dream she had about her witnessing Fili's death to her discovering that she was in love with Fili. And the fact that Bilbo was sent off to scout for the orc pack didn't help much. Ever since that night, Bilbo was the only one who knew about that night. She continued to fiddle with her small vile of tears from that night that hung from a chain on her neck. At this moment Bilbo came running down a slope running towards the company looking frightened. All stood up to his presence to hear word of whether or not they were safe.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin muttered, axe in hand.

"Too close, a couple of leagues, no more...but that's not the worst of it"

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?"

"Did they see you?"

"No...that's not it..." the hobbit was obviously having a hard time trying to catch his breath but the others didn't seem to notice. Gandalf proudly smiled and turned to the others.

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse, excellent burglar material!" he exclaimed.

The dwarves nodded and started chatting to each other. The hobbit's face turned to irritation and he raised his voice.

"Will you...will you just listen?!" he suddenly exclaimed and they all grew quiet again. "I am trying to tell you that there is something else out there"

There was a pause during which some of the dwarves exchanged worried looks. Gandalf took a step forward.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" he asked in a lower tone.

"Ye...yes. But bigger! Much bigger," said Bilbo somewhat surprised that Gandalf understood the vision of the unknown creature.

"I say we double back" Bofur said, getting some of the others' approval nods.

"And be run down by a pack of orcs?" Thorin shook his head.

"There is a house not far from here" Gandalf broke the dwarves' chattering.

"Whose house? Is he a friend or foe?" Thorin asked.

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us" Dawn felt puzzled. Was this a good thing or bad thing?

"What choice do we have?" Just as Thorin said this there was a large sound that sounded like either a roar or a growl.

"None" he replied, "Come on"

The company arrived at the edge of the forest in which they had been walking, taking advantage of the trees to hide them from their enemies' view. In front of them lied a big plain and a bit further stood a single solitary house.

They nervously looked around them to check for any sign of the orcs then the wizard nodded and they raced out of the woods into the plain.

They hadn't even ran ten meters when a loud, terrifying roar was heard behind them. They kept on running, eyes focused on their destination that was getting closer. They felt the ground shake before even hearing the sound of heavy footsteps chasing them and Dawn's blood froze in her veins when she shot a quick look behind her shoulder and saw a massive bear bursting out of the forest.