Chapter 22

The dwarves got up early to prepare for the day they've been waiting for for a lifetime. The Master gave them all (except Dawn) honorable armor for the journey, as well as respective weapons and supplies. However, Dawn knew something that the rest of the company, especially one in particular, wouldn't know until the last minute. She was not going to go to Erebor.

It was past midnight and most of the party guests have already left to go to their homes. Dawn found Bofur passed out on the ground with an almost empty bottle of brandy, snoring loudly. She took the bottle out of his hand, and helped him into a more comfortable position. As she stood, she gasped at the sight of Thorin as she turned around.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he said.

"Oh, it's nothing. What is it?"

"I want you to stay here in Laketown." Dawn's eyes widened. Why at this moment, right before the day they were to reclaim their home, was he telling her this?

"Might I ask why?"

"It's Kili. He is in no condition to go to Erebor, and I fear the worst. I want to to stay with him here, and once reclaimed, you both may come once he has recovered. It's nothing to do with you at all." Dawn turned to Kili's direction. He was talking with some remaining men, laughing. However, it was obvious that he was getting paler, and he was hiding his pain. He was purposely leaning on the wall. Dawn sighed, as she knew that Thorin was correct.

"Does he know about this? Does he know you will be excluding him from something he has dreamed of since he was a child?"

"It's not like that!" Thorin corrected.

"So you didn't tell him? How is he going to find out?"

"From me, tomorrow before we leave. And you are not to say a word about this to him, understand?" Dawn nodded, but before he could leave her, she stopped him and gave him a serious look.

"Thorin Oakenshield, I am proud to have been a part of this company, and I could not think of anyone better to be our king. And I will follow you and your ways until the end." And before he could protest, Dawn tightly embraced him.

Dawn now walked by Fili's side, wondering how the scene would play out. She knew how crushed Kili was going to be when he was going to be when he would receive the news. They finally arrived at the docks, where all of Laketown was gathered to say farewell to them. Dawn, as instructed, stayed still and did not go on the vessel. She then watched sadly as Thorin broke the news to Kili right before he was to go on the boat.

"Not you. We must travel with speed. You will slow us down." Dawn felt like saying something, but she knew that this was between Kili and Thorin. Still it was hurtful. Fili turned to face both his uncle and his brother, wondering why all of a sudden his brother cannot join them.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened!" Kili protested. "When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin."

"Kili, stay here. Join us when you are healed. Dawn will be here as well with you." Kili turned to Dawn, but only had his continued rage in his eyes.

"I'll stay with the lad too. My duty lies with the wounded." And just when Dawn thought the conflict was over, Fili protested.

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili..." Thorin began.

"I will carry him if I must!"

"One day, you will be king, and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf...not even my own kin."