An Elf's Perspective Part 5

While the rest of our army continued to fight against the orcs, I had followed my king to Dale. I did not know what his true intentions were other than to kill orcs, but I feared the answer slightly. From far away I could see that he fought greatly. However, he lost the life of his beautiful elk due to a great sum of arrows. But Thranduil preceded to destroy his foes. When there was finally a calm moment, Thranduil began to wonder and look inside the homes. I grasped the vile Dawn had given me. I knew what he was doing.

"You're looking for the Balorat Su, aren't you?" I asked. 

"Larissa is in peril," Thranduil responded as he peaked into another home. "I intend to save her." 

This was wrong. I knew this. What would happen if Thranduil found Dawn? He would take her back to Mirkwood, give her everything a queen would desire, but he would never receive the love he desired from her. And what was this battle for? Love he cannot have yet again, and a handful of gems. Was this worth the deaths of hundreds of our soldiers, some even my dear friends?

Suddenly, horns were heard. From the mountain. All stopped their fighting for just a moment to see what would happen next. With the motion and ring of a mighty golden bell, the barricade the dwarves built was destroyed, and from the mountain came the company, lead by their recovered king. I couldn't help but sigh in relief as I saw the other dwarves rally to him. But Thranduil did not notice. He didn't even see the scene. I bit my lip and took a breath. What I would say next could be my fate.

"My lord...enough is enough!" 

Thranduil slowly turned around to me and gave a look of disbelief. "What did you say?" At first, I felt like a trembled, but I stood up straight and stood my ground as I faced my king.

"What is this for? Larissa? I'm sorry, but she is not returning. She is in a much better place. You cannot make this girl be someone she is not! And you certainly cannot win her heart with a war."

"Are you aware of what you are saying?" Thranduil said.

"Look around you! All of our fallen kin! And for what? A handful of gems and a girl who doesn't return your affection!" Thranduil looked away from me. But I can tell that my words reached to him. "Look around you," I repeated. 

Thranduil looked around himself, and suddenly things were so clear. He could see the golden armor and elven blood on the snow covered ground. The faces of the dead, and yet the expressions on their faces were fear and confusion on why they were to die. Thranduil's face showed regret, guilt, and horror. One of the lieutenants came and saw the scene. 

"Recall your company," the king said, not even looking at the soldier. Without question, the soldier blew his horn, and in a matter or minutes, our company that was now so small gathered.

"We are leaving now," Thranduil said. We all glanced at each other for a minute but then began to follow our king. But we were interrupted by Mithrandir.

"My Lord! Dispatch this force to Ravenhill. The dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned," he said.

"By all means, warn him," Thranduil said as he passed the wizard. "I have spent enough elvish blood in defense of this accursed land. No more!"

As we were close to the exit of the city, I was shocked to see Tauriel blocking the way. "You will go no further," she said, "You will not turn away. Not this time."

"Get out of my way!" the king ordered.

"The dwarves will be slaughtered!"

"Yes, they will die. Today, tomorrow, one year hence, a hundred years from now. What does it matter, they are mortal."

There was a moment of silence. But then, Tauriel did something that I thought would never occur. Tauriel pulled out her bow and aimed it at the king.

"You think your life is worth more than theirs when there is no love in it? There is no love in you." 

Without a moment to think, Thranduil cut Tauriels bow in half and aimed his sword toward the elf. "What do you know of love? Nothing! What you feel for that dwarf, is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?" 

I stood in horror, completely frozen. I was certain that I was to see one of my dear friends be killed right before my eyes. But then, Legolas appeared and lowered his father's sword with his own. 

"If you harm her...you will have to kill me," the prince said in a determined tone. With this threat, Thranduil backed away. But before the two could leave, I ran ahead and stopped Legolas. I took a breath and revealed the vile Dawn had given me. I then placed it in the prince's hand.

"Should it happen, give it to her," I said. Though he seemed hesitant, Legolas nodded, and then continued to follow Tauriel. 

But then, I was stopped by the king. He looked at me with sorrow in his eyes. "I want you to stay here. Find the Balorat Su, and warn her of Ravenhill. Please, make sure she is safe."

I nodded and then left. I tore through the crowds of man and orcs, killing the enemy when I could. "Dawn!" I called. There was no response. But what I did hear and smell was fire, and the sound of orcs screaming. I followed the sound, and then to my surprise, found Dawn burning orcs with the emerald fire. But then, an orc came from behind, and shoved her to the wall, knocking her out. And before he could make the final blow, I stabbed the orc. I then took grasp of the girl and carried her away.