Chapter 9

Days past and they soon found themselves in a strong storm while traveling on one of the most dangerous parts of the misty mountains. Dawn could barely see, nor could anyone else. But Dawn knew that Fili was behind her, and Kili was in front of her.

"Hold on!" Thorin roared through the wind. Just as they were getting used to walking, Bilbo missed a step. But luckily Dwalin caught him before he could fall.

"We must find shelter!" No one disagreed on that.

"Look out!" Dwalin shouted.
Suddenly out if the foggy rain came a large boulder coming straight for them. As it hit their side of the mountain, it broke in thousands of pieces, which were still quite large. Fili grabbed Dawn's shoulder and pushed her against the side if the mountain wall to prevent her from getting hurt.

"This is no thunder storm! It's a Thunder Battle!" Balin exclaimed. Just then out from the rocks came a giant figure that was spiked and earthy. Walking straight towards them with another boulder in hand.

"Bless me..." Bofur said. "the legends are true. GIANTS! STONE GIANTS!!!" With that the giant threw the rock but the target was discovered to be another giant.

As the fight continued, shaking came from the mountain. As Dawn looked down, the rocky floor beneath her was separating. The gap was getting bigger and bigger, and she felt she was going to fall. But before she could, Kili grabbed her by the waist and placed her behind him. But then horror struck when Dawn realized both Bofur and Fili were being dragged away.

"Bofur! Fili!" she cried.

"Kili, grab my hand," Fili shouted, holding out his hand. But it was too far for Kili to grasp, and they soon realized, there was a third giant, and they were now his knees. Kili knowing he had to protect Dawn at this moment, held her tightly an shielded her from any falling stone. He remembered how worried Fili was for Dawn. He knew he cried when he visited her. Kili and Bilbo were the only ones that knew that. So he strived to keep Dawn safe, until they could hopefully get off.

Fortunatly, luck came for them. As the giants leg hit against the still mountain. everyone rushed to the other side. And as everyone got off, the giant got up.

"You alright?" Kili asked. She nodded, but all Dawn could think of was Fili and Bofur. The other leg went through much. And then the giant fell, an the leg crashed into the side if the mountain.

As that leg crashed, no one could tell what happened. Dawn ran ahead to see. Were they alright? Oh dear god let them be alright. She could feel the tears coming through her eyes. As she got to them, her tears shed of joy. They were all okay, and all unharmed. She ran to Bofur an Fili, and hugged them both at the same time. and they hugged back.

"I'm so glad you're safe. Both of you."
But as they got up, Bofur looked around and realized something.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's the hobbit!" Just as they were beginning to look, Dawn found him dangling from the rocks.

"Bilbo!" Dawn cried. Everyone rushed to help him. But no matter how much they tried, Bilbo couldn't reach.

"Bilbo, hold on!" Dawn said. Without thinking, she began to lean forward more until she could not deny she was to fall. She shrieked as the bottom seemed to be more clear an more deep. But she did not fall. Instead something grabbed her and pulled her back. As Dawn looked, it was Thorin. Once Dawn was back on safe ground, he came down and helped Bilbo up from his situation, and before he could fall as well, Dwalin grabbed a hold of him. Once Bilbo got up, Dawn grabbed a hold of him and hugged him tight.

"For a second there I thought we lost our burglar."

"He's been lost ever since he left home. He should never have come, he has no place amongst us!" Thorin said, staring down at the hobbit. Dawn frowned at his harsh words and tried to restrain from saying anything.

"It's alright," said Dawn to Bilbo. Just before they began to walk again, Dawn was stopped by Balin

"Perhaps next time you'll think a little more before you act. You nearly fell to your doom." Dawn nodded to the elder dwarf, and then continued to walk.

A little bit later, everyone gathered in a cave Thorin had found for shelter. Dawn felt weird in the cave, but it was better than being outside.

"Alright. Let's get a fire started," Gloin said rubbing his hands together.

"No, no fires. Not in this place. Get some sleep. We leave at first light," stated Thorin.

"Bofur, you take the night watch." Bofur frowned, but nodded to Thorin. Dawn then went over to Fili and Kili.

"Kili, thank you for not letting rocks land on my head," Dawn giggled.

"No problem. You already suffered a wound at the waist. Wouldn't want you I have a concussion as well," Kili said. Fili smiled. His brother managed to keep her safe. He was happy everyone was safe.

Later that night, Dawn heard something in the middle of the night. She slowly opened her eyes to see Bilbo packing his things and beginning to leave. Since she was close to Bofur, who was still awake for the night watch, she tapped him and pointed to Bilbo.

"Where do you think you're going?" Bofur asked.

"Back to Rivendell." Dawn sat up and stood next to Bofur to help convince him to stay.

"No, no. You can't turn back now. You're part of the company. You're one of us." Bofur said.

"It's true Bilbo. It may not seem like it, but you are more important than anything," said Dawn.

"I'm not, though, am I. Thorin said I should never have come and he was right. I'm not a Took, I'm a Baggins. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have never run out my door."

"You're homesick. I understand," Bofur calmly said.

"No you don't. You don't understand. None of you do. Your dwarves! You're used to...to this life! To living on the road! Never settling in one place, not belonging anywhere!" Bilbo snapped. Although Dawn knew he meant no harm, the words hit like a dagger.

"I-I am sorry," said Bilbo.

"No you're right," said Bofur suddenly. He then turned to the others as they slept. "We don't belong anywhere." There then was some silence. And Bofur cracked a smile.

"I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do." He then hugged the hobbit. Dawn then did the same.

"Be safe, and remember me," she said softly.

"Oh, I'll remember you. I promise," Bilbo said. He then turned and was ready to leave.

"What's that?" Bofur asked, pointing to Bilbo's tiny sword. Dawn looked at it too. As Bilbo pulled it out, it was not its silvery color, but a bright blue. Dawn then began to breathe heavily, knowing what it meant. She then began to shake Fili.

"Wake up. Wake up. Please, wake up," Dawn exclaimed. As Fili got up, they heard the sound of sand falling.

"WAKE UP! ALL OF YOU!" Thorin shouted sensing what was happening. Just then, without warning, The floor disappeared, and everyone fell down.