The Wales & Borders Railway, story 47: The Class 325 Mistake

The most common type of Mail Transportation system to be seen across Mr Griffiths, railway director's railway, is known as the Travelling Post Office. The company of Royal Mail partnered with UK rail company, Railtrack to produce a mail transporting train, to replace the TPO. Many ideas were considered, such as a Multiple Unit train like the Class 205 'Thumper'. But, Griffiths decided to use 5 of the old Class 302s (75029, 75030, 75031, 75032 & 75034), which were rotting and rusting at the back of Alexandra Dock Jn, and awaiting the cutter's torch. "Alfie, I need you to take these 302s and add one big sliding door in pace of these pathetic sticking doors" Mr Griffiths asked "and I'll also want these units painted in Red please, but could you add yellow stripes on the doors and 2 yellow stripes going right across the both sides of the units", "Yes, sir" replied Alfie.

Soon, a prototype of the Royal Mail train was produced by Alfie's Garage and with a little help from ABB Transportation, they were officially dubbed the British Rail Class 902. "Now then, The British Rail Class 902 is an electric multiple unit train owned and operated by Royal Mail to carry bulk mail" Alfie announced to the people of South Wales "the class consists of three-car sets with dual-voltage 25 kV and 750 V power. While the Class 902 cabs bear a resemblance to the Thumper family of D-EMUs, the Class 902 is merely based on the Mk1 Coach. The 902s started in service between Trecenydd Mail Sorting Office and Cardiff Royal Mail Delivery Office.

5 units were built, each consisting of 4 carriages, numbered 97029, 97030, 97031, 97032 & 97034. After running them from Cardiff Royal Mail Delivery Office to Trecenydd Mail Sorting Office for the last time, after having a damaged pantograph after being diverted into a low tunnel and other damages, 97030 was sent for scrap. 66783 'Flying Dustman' went to the end siding at Carphilly to pick up 97030, and hauled him to Partmart Automotive Recycling. He was soon broken up by a big orange demolition excavator, and 66783 came to collect the broken up parts of the 902, some parts were kept for spares for other locomotives and multiple units, such as the buffers, the coupling chains and the bogies. Apart from 97030, all of the Class 902s are still in passenger service today, and that's the end of today's story.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!