The Wales & Borders Railway, story 8: Mr Griffiths' Birthday

It was a very special day on the Wales & Borders Railway, it was Mr Griffiths, the railway director's Birthday. Everyone was celebrating, Lilly Hall, crane RS1054's operator, who also helps out as a guard, driver and cleaner on the railway, was discussing with the others that they had to get him a special present for his birthday, for being one wonderful railway director, they were all thinking of getting him a card, "Too boring" muttered Renny Pritchard, how about a nice big birthday cake, "Too Childish", added Ieuan James, "besides, he's fat enough as it is", "good point" they all agreed, "I know!" Halton Crawford declared, "I have a great friend who can make models of trains, in a really short amount of time, I'll ask him to make a model of Mr Griffiths' favourite steam locomotive, it's City of Truro". He went to find the modeller, he asked him if he had the time to make City of Truro, "Yes I can make a model of Truro, who is it for?", "It is for Mr Griffiths, the railway director, as it's his birthday", the modeller said that he'll do it all by suppertime, that's when he'll open the presents.

Each and every engine had gotten Mr Griffiths special birthday gifts. Barry had gotten a complete model railway, which had Hornby Triang 4468 Mallard. Leyland & Gordon had gotten a poster of all the locos for his office wall. Pete Hinton, 1211's crew had gotten him a new suit. Lilly had gotten him a brand-new waistcoat. Ieuan had gotten him a brand-new top hat. "Mr Griffiths will be very pleased" they all agreed, "he'll enjoy all our presents, and it'll make his birthday this year, the best birthday he's ever had". All the crew agreed, they all blew the whistles on their locos, and they let off a great big load of steam, it filled the entire station with steam, half of Cardiff thought it was a big cloud of fog, but it was just steam.

About 6:00pm that evening, Mr Griffiths shouted as loud as he could on the loudspeaker, "CALLING ALL WORKERS!" he asserted, "it is time for the ceremony!", all the crew came to the ceremony at Cardiff, "It is time for you loyal employees to give the presents" Mr Griffiths said. One by one, they all gave their presents to Mr Griffiths, "Thank you all very much, for the presents, I'll enjoy them very much", he said with pride, "But wait, there's one more thing, where's Halton, it's not like him to be late?". At last he arrived, he had brought the train modeller with him, he had brought along a box with the Wales colours on it, "Here's your present from me, sir", Mr Griffiths opened the box, "Oh my, it's my favourite locomotive, thank you", "You're welcome" Halton and the Modeller said, that was by-far the best present he had ever had for any birthday, he played with it on his desk, all-night, he was very pleased.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!