The Wales & Borders Railway, story 37: Rocky Rails!

T'was a very noisy time at Machen Quarry, where the busy quarrymen were working so hard, breaking up large rocks and smashing rubble into small pieces. The construction workers wanted the gravel and ballast for the tracks and so on. 1211 and 8572 were in charge of helping the GNR Class N2, 190, transporting the rock and rubble to and from the quarry and the tips, there was a lot so Mr Griffiths, railway director, had decided to get 2 extra locomotives to help work the ballast to and from the Quarry, as they had a lot to move in such a short time frame.

After about a few hours of hard work and loads of trips to and from Cardiff Network Yard, the quarry was finally cleared, it looked better than it ever had before, they were so proud of themselves. But they hadn't secured the bottom layer of rocks down properly at Cardiff NY, and it made the place very dangerous to drive past, but Daniel with BPT001 hadn't known about the rocks, and were cruising along the Radyr line. He was going at about 40 mph, when he heard a rumbling sound, he was worried so he went a bit slower, and that didn't work, so Daniel brought BPT001 to a complete stop between Ninian Park and Waun-gron Park.

He was ordered to reverse back to Cardiff Central, but the dangerously loose rocks were above him, they didn't realise until Daniel heard a few tiny rocks hit the roof, then a few had smashed his front and back windows, then they came down fast, Daniel was lucky to get out in time, but BPT001 was completely smashed and buried under the rocks, luckily he was operating as Empty Coaching Stock (ECS), but thanks to his wonderful controller, Mr Griffiths, they brought Lilly with RS1054 to the scene, and the fallen rocks were loaded into a few empty trucks and taken to the Quarry, where they were crushed into bits and pieces and used for bits and bobs. BPT001, on the other hand, was suffering serious damages; scratched paint, badly battered body frame, lack of windows, no buffers. He was lifted onto a flatbed, and was taken to Alfie's Garage and was soon fixed, repairs took about a week, Daniel was very happy indeed to both have BPT001 back up and running and to be a part of Mr Grriffiths' railway.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!