The Wales & Borders Railway, story 27: The New Locomotive

T'was a smashing morning on the Wales & Borders Railway, everyone had lots of jobs to do, 60103 and 8572 swapped jobs, 60103 took the Local whilst 8572 pulled the Express, he struggled on the bend out of Newport and the stretch through the Severn Tunnel and then the bend into Bristol Temple Meads. Mr Griffiths, the railway director, came to the sheds to greet his crew and also had some news, "There's going to be a visitor arriving on the Welsh Valley Railway" he announced "I would like you all to make him very welcome on my railway, its an LSWR Class T9, number 30285 his driver's name is Paul Wythall, and his fireman is Henry Foster", they all couldn't wait to meet the new train. Lilly, with RS1054, was clearing some scrap metal from the trackside, putting it into trucks, when a BR black T9 Class locomotive arrived at the scene at a slow speed, "Uhh..uhh.." the Paul stammered, "Is this the Welsh Railway?", "Well, the Wales & Borders Railway, yes", "Good, I'm Paul, the driver of this T9", "Nice to finally meet you" said Lilly. He soon became friends with almost everyone, 60103 was indignant, "Why do we need another loco?" he shouted "We already have a lot of trains on this railway as it is", the others agreed, but he is here for training, he is learning about shunting and pulling coaches, which he'd never done before. They were very excited to start working, they started off on the Swansea Shopper with 60103 then went on to bigger trains like the express and full goods trains.

Near the afternoon, Paul & Henry had pulled lots of trains, they were very happy, they were so happy he reversed right into a milk tanker, the milk flowed everywhere, Mr Griffiths was most annoyed, "What the Devil do you think you're doing?" he shouted at Paul, he told Paul to go to the marshalling yard to arrange 1211's goods train, stopping at every town, to drop off goods at factories and station sidings, this is called a Stopping Goods. Paul shunted his train onto a siding until the Local had passed and he'd take it to the platform ready for Barry, but he wasn't at the platform he was nowhere to be seen, so Paul shunted the train into another siding next to the station. Paul was shunting the train onto the siding when, "Look out!!!" shouted the signalman, but Paul couldn't hear, he was so careless he and the train came off the rails, as the points weren't set properly, they tumbled on the concrete path straight into platforms 2 & 3 at Newport, "You miserable engine" they all shouted, he was sent for repairs and came back like a new looking locomotive.

He went to Alfie's Garage as a classic regular T9 Class and came back as a modified T9 Class, he was painted black white stripes across the body. He did look unusual for his class, but the others soon got used to seeing it, he was the same locomotive in a different shape and colour, he looked amazing in the dark as his yellow stripes would shine in the light of the moon lit night. His crew were as happy as can be, they soon learnt from their mistakes and were really careful from then on. Mr Griffiths actually started to like an old style steamer on his railway and so did the others, they all became really good friends, and all stayed in the same shed together.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!