The Wales & Borders Railway, story 33: The Diesel Locomotives Part 3

Continued From Part 2!

...The workmen were absolutely fuming with the idea of diesel locomotives, "Replacing us, the pride of the mainline, with stinky diesels, polluting the air" remarked Percy Jones. As soon as they said that, the rest of the Class 66's and even the Class 06 were clagging like mad as they passed Newport. It was so bad, they were held at a red signal and replaced by 60103 & 4464. "It's that rotten diesel fuel" complained Rhys Titch-Thomas, driver of 66 001, "Our first plan worked successfully" said Barry & Arnold.

Their plan was to ruin every diesel's engines in order for them to be sent back to where they came from, and the steam locomotives to continue running this railway, but the steam engines were getting old, and would soon be scrapped and replaced with diesel locomotives. Mr Griffiths was very sad to tell the crew that they'd soon be replaced with diesels, "Why, sir, our locos, the pride of Wales, got to be replaced?", "Sorry, but it's costing too much for you to run, and diesels are cheaper" said Mr Griffiths, they were all sad when he said that to them.

The next morning, the diesel locomotives were all scheduled to go to Alfie's Garage for an engine inspection, to Mr Griffiths and the workmen's surprise, they all failed the inspection, and were sent back to Doncaster Up Decoy, where they came from. They left roughly an hour later and the steam engines' crew were all very happy, well, except for Sean Lloyd, he was actually quite fond of the Class 58, 58 007, in smashing BR Railfreight Silver livery, they were all sent back except for the Class 06, 06 008. 06 008 was sent to Cardiff Canton, with its driver Jake Walker, it had replaced the previous tank engine, which was the original Canton Shunter, the tank engine was sent to Part Mart Automotive Recycling Ltd of Tir-y-Berth where it was unfortunately cut up and scrapped. Its number plate on the front was saved and was put up in Alfie's Garage.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!