The Wales & Borders Railway, story 9: The Railway Buses-Part 1

Autumn had arrived on the Wales & Borders Railway, there were a lot of passengers arriving from the other railways by 60103s Premier Express, they all wanted to go to the town centre, but unfortunately, there weren't any railway lines that run through the town centre. Mr Griffiths, the railway director, didn't realise this, and thought the passengers were able to go to the town centre safely. "I really don't know what you're worrying about!" Mr Griffiths said, "I'm afraid you're over exaggerating". He scuttled back to his office, and had a nice cuppa, it helps him to relax, then he went to check his timetable, he copied it all down onto a clipboard, and went to check if the trains were running to schedule. "We went to tell Mr Griffiths about the problem," said Tim "we told him there wasn't anyone available to do town centre runs, and he said we were exaggerating, didn't he, Renny?", "He did indeed, Tim". The Workmen were puzzled now, "I think we might need a bus" said Halton, "maybe 2 buses" said the other Gordon, "YES" interrupted Lilly, "a Single deck and a Double deck bus".

Barry & Leyland went to Mr Griffiths' office, he burst through the main door, and he stated clearly to him; "Look here, Mr Griffiths" he boomed "there's been 5 coach loads of passengers arriving at the station, and there's no-one to take them all to the town centre, me, the fellow workmen have all agreed that we need a single deck bus and a double deck bus, what do you think, sir?", "Well, now you've mentioned it a bit better, than those two guards, I'll try my best to get the buses", "Thank you, sir, I'll tell the others right away!". He boarded 8572 and they both went to the sheds, where everyone was waiting, "I've got some brilliant news to tell you all" Leyland said "I've had a chat with Mr Griffiths about the problem, and he said he'll get the buses!", "About bloody time too" said all the crew.

Ieuan and Renny picked up the two buses from Cardiff Transport Preservation Group depot in Barry, the double deck bus was a Leyland Atlantean, EDW 68D (68) his driver was Andrew Field. The single deck bus is an Alexander bodied AEC Swift, MBO 512F (512) his driver was Malcom Moss. Then, Mr Griffiths arrived at the bus sheds, "Ah, they've arrived" he announced at once "I want you, Malcolm, to go straight to Cardiff Central, ready for the 11.15 from Chester, be quick now, the train will be there in a few minutes, and you Andrew, I want you to go to the town centre, to bring some passengers back here", "Righto, sir", the drivers tooted on the bus horns.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2!!