The Wales & Borders Railway, story 2: the Aberystwyth Cliff Railway

It was a nice warm day on the Wales & Borders Railway, the two steam engines, 60103 and 8572, were puffing hard taking HTV hoppers to and from the quarries, and pulling coaches to and from the Cliff Railway of Aberystwyth. The ACR is a nice opportunity to see the wonderful views of Aberystwyth and West Wales. There's 2 little carriages that go up and down the hill. When one carriage goes down, it pulls the other carriage up in the other direction along a runner. When a carriage is on the top of the cliff, it's very important that the bottom carriage has not broken down, which can happen easily, as the top carriage will be stuck on the top and the passengers and tourists will be stranded.

Before long, 60103 arrived with an Express Passenger service full of tourists, "these people want to see the view and the sights of the railway" Renny Pritchard, the guard onboard said grandly, "please take them on Delyth". "Who on Earth is Delyth?" the station master asked, he was puzzled as he was new to the railway, and had never heard of Delyth before, "Delyth is the name of the old carriage that takes the passengers up the Cliff Railway" Gordon replied with pride. Soon the passengers boarded Delyth and the other carriage came down with a load of passengers to go back to Wrexham and Rhyl. "Oh my!" the operator of the ACR complained in a strong Welsh accent "there's too many passengers in Delyth, if it lifts this heavy load, it might break". So Delyth lifted the tourists up to the top of the ACR, "It's going to break down, It's going to break down" the operator said, then there was trouble, it was straining, and the chain had come off the runner, the passengers were stranded Halfway up the ACR.

Eventually, the passengers got angry, and started to leave the carriage, but there was a slight problem, if you exit the carriages on the top of the hill, there's a chance of injury. So they waited in the carriage for the railway to be repaired, "I'm here to fix the Cliff Railway" the mechanic, sent from Alfie's Garage grumbled, he was very grumpy that morning "I'll need a lift to the top of SunnyHill to fix it". Mr Griffiths, railway director had sent 8572 to take the mechanic to the top of the Cliff, he eventually fixed it, "that's the trickiest task I've ever dealt with" he said exhaustedly "but all I can say is, it's fixed now, it was the runner it was very old and rusty and needs to be replaced, but we need a crane to lift the carriages off the rails first", but unfortunately, the W&BR doesn't have a crane, but I shan't say anymore or else I shall spoil the next story.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!