The Wales & Borders Railway, story 35: Barry's Best Buddy

T'was a very sad day for a certain LNER Class A3 driver, as previously there'd been a load of diesel locomotives sent to South Wales for a trial run, but they failed the engine inspection test and had to leave the railway. But a certain Class 66, 66 783 nicknamed The Flying Dustman, who works for British Rail & Biffa Waste Services, they call it that because it's really fast like Scotsman, and he pulls the long distance rubbish trains, hence the name 'Dustman'. Barry soon became friends with the driver of the 783, Billy Goodwin.

Mr Griffiths, railway director, was indignant and kept saying to Barry "The Flying Dustman was no longer going to be on the railway", and that made him very sad indeed, he sometimes felt lonely and the Flying Dustman always made him feel better, it was the loud roar of the EMD engine in the Class 66. A few days later, Barry was feeling a little down, nothing had been going well for him at all and Mr Griffiths had become a bit concerned about his feelings, so he called John Smith, the Manager of the GBRf, in order to bring 66 783 down from their Peterborough Yard to see Barry in Cardiff Canton Depot, obviously with Mr Griffiths, John Smith & Railtrack's manager, Robert Horton's permissions, as Railtrack is the company that looks after all trains, railways, depots, garages and station etc.

The Class 66 'Flying Dustman' arrived shortly to see Barry, and was able to see him just before he left to double-header the Express with 4464 to Weston-super-Mare via Bristol Temple Meads; Barry was really excited to get 60103 running again, after a recent overhaul. "Look, I know you've been a little under the weather recently, so Mr Griffiths has agreed that me and my 66 can stay here for a week or 2 to spend time with my favourite Gresley A3 locomotive" said Billy, he was enjoying his time on the Railways of South Wales and was able to see his favourite steam engine double-header the Nonstop Express with the A4, he made his driver record it for memories sake, and that's the end of today's story.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!