The Wales & Borders Railway, story 5: The Famous Visitor!

It was a sweltering hot day, on the Wales & Borders Railway, all the locos were being looked over, they also had a new, fresh coat of paint, when they were all fully looked over, Mr Griffiths, the railway director, came to see them at Alfie's Garage. He had some news to tell all the crew, guard Tim Pegasus was worrying as he thought it was bad news. "The railway board and I, are proud to announce that the Snowdon services, which is run by the magnificent 1211, is going to be used for special holidays, as holiday season has arrived in South Wales". So every driver left with their locos and went to tidy the railway, every station, signal box, shed and building. They had to work extra hard, as they had heard that Sir Prince Charles was coming to the railway, "I can't believe it, I can't believe it" all the drivers and firemen mumbled to each other, "out of all people, Sir Prince Charles". Soon the engines and the people heard a very loud rumbling sound, it sounded like an earthquake or thunder, then silence grew, and you could hear a voice roaring through the trees, it grew louder and louder.

Then suddenly, a large green locomotive came rushing through and stopped at the platform, it was LNER Class A4 4464 'Bittern', he had some Mk1 Pullman Parlour coaches, courtesy of Locomotive Services Ltd, inside was Sir Prince Charles, "Welcome to the Wales & Borders Railway, your highness, it's such a pleasure to have you on our railway, I'm Mr Griffiths, the railway director" he expressed, "Thank you, Mr Griffiths" he said in a strong Royal voice, "may I take a look around the railway?", "Of course, your highness". So Bittern's driver, Philip Barrett, took Sir Prince Charles across the railway, along the way she saw 60103 Flying Scotsman on the other side of the platform, Bittern being an A4 and Flying Scotsman being an A3, they're both cousins in the loco industry.

Later that day, a big fierce storm swept the railway, it caused a great deal of damage and chaos, roofs were blown off of buildings, tiles blew off of roofs, Swansea station and the engine sheds were completely demolished, it will take a hell of a long time to tidy this catastrophe up. Then, Sir Prince Charles, said to Mr Griffiths, "I'm going to give you a cheque for £100,000 to fix the railway", "Oh that's very kind of you, sir" he used that to buy some timber, tiles, bricks and cement to replace the damaged items. "Oh there's another thing" Charles said to Mr Griffiths, "the scrapyard's giving away 2 Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0 saddle tank engines'', "Oh thank you, I need some small locos to take the rubbish away, I'll send 8572 right away". The two new tank engines arrived safely, they were classed as twins, due to their numbers being 109 and 110 "these two are very lucky locos" Mr Griffiths declared, "I think they'll fit in well here". Before long, the sheds, roofs, tiles, and the big station were all built, and the people of South Wales were all very happy and very thankful. But as for 109 & 110, as they were purchased to help clear the wreckage of Storm Bagnall, they were purchased by the Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway, where they will continue to run shuttle trains.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!