The Wales & Borders Railway, story 15: Food Services

It was a very odd day on the Wales & Borders Railway, we have come to the time where passengers don't bring food on trains and then they start getting hungry, now it's come to the point where we need to do something about it. Mr Griffiths, the railway director, had firstly decided to let the passengers bring their own food on board the train, that went rather successful at first, the passengers behaved well, and there were no messes, until one day, some people were bringing on sloppy foods, like one man brought on a soup in a flask, but it went on the seats, the man didn't know, and Mr Griffiths was cross, they made the man clean it up, he refused at first but he finally did it. "We won't be allowed outside food on board the coaches, anymore!" Mr Griffiths declared, "Oh, thank goodness for that" Renny chuffed, he hated extra special coaches, especially ones that are a waste of a coach. Mr Griffiths had a think about any suitable ideas for the food and beverage confusion, he couldn't come up with any ideas, until he saw a news article in the local gazette, reading 'The Great Western Railway has officially announced the beginning of a Buffet Car, which serves hot 'n' cold drinks, and warm and cold snacks, there are only 4 of this kind at GWR's Laira depot situated in Plymouth'.

Alfie, the owner of Alfie's Garage, he's the one who runs the Garage, which takes in any locomotives, coaches, trucks, brake vans, or any flateds, and restores them to their original condition. Griffiths brought a spare Mk1 Pullman Parlour Second coach and they repainted it in London Transport red, and they fitted a fridge, brand-new cloth seats and a big counter, it looked like a Pullman Parlour First but was a standard class coach. So, a Buffet Coach is a coach of a train, where and can be bought at a counter and consumed. Typically, passengers are not allowed to consume brought-along food and drinks in the car, and are therefore only able to eat in this area by buying their food in the car. A group of schoolchildren from Ysgol Cwm Rhymni in Caerphilly, came aboard for a scenic route across Cardiff and the Valleys, they all started to get a bit hungry, they got off where Mr Griffiths greeted them, at the platform.

"Hello, you must Mr Griffiths, the controller of this amazing railway" said Anna Nicholas the teacher, she was well known in this area, and well known by Mr Griffiths and the crew, "Hello, Miss Nicholas, we haven't seen you across these parts for a while", "yep, just been spending my last 4 years teaching a certain horrid annoying ginger-haired student" she expressed, "oh yes I remember him, I remember he caused 60103 to crash" after that little reunion and an adventurous day on the valleys, the trip was over, they got back on 60103's train, and they all felt hungry, they all ordered sandwiches, and a bottle of water, the first of the Buffet Car services went like a breeze, it was so successful, even Renny started to like it, also it smelt good as well, especially when the train's going backwards, the Buffet Car is here to stay, to please customers, for several years to come.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!