The Wales & Borders Railway, story 62: Repurposed!

Recently, we saw the full complete introduction of the Class 231 (Stadler FLIRT D-EMUs) on the Rhymney Line and the Class 197 (CAF DMUs) on the core Valley & InterCity lines. This story begins at Laira TRSMD, where Mark Hopwood, GWR's Owner, was out in the yard doing his daily early inspection of all his trains before they went out in service. After all the former TfW Class 158s were all renumbered, 158739 (former 158839) was sent out with 158742 to Bristol Temple Meads to start working the Bristol Temple Meads - Worcester Shrub Hill services. But the 158s were not compatible with Peak Times. They were usually replaced with Class 165 & 166 Turbos.

One day, Carol Coxy, one of GWR's yard workers, had an idea to split the former TfW Class 158s in half, and add each coach to the front of a GWR 158 forming a 3-car 158, which were redesignated as a Class 158/9 or a Class 158 Hybrid. This not only meant that they could operate during Peak Times, but they could also run alongside the 165 & 166 Turbos. Transport for Wales' CEO, James Price, had an interesting email on his computer from Transport for London (TfL)'s CEO, Andrew Lord, which said 'Former London Underground D78 Tube Stock Trains for Sale'. He had decided to purchase

5 of them. They were shabby and scruffy and were desperately in need of refurbishment.

They were converted to battery power and were designated as the Class 230, numbered 230006 - 230010, these were simple 3-car sets and were allocated to the Wrexham - Bidston line, they were decently fast and rather quiet sets, they proved to be a huge success, attracting railway enthusiasts from all over the UK. These D-Trains had proven so successful, they brought more passengers onto the lines, taking the ratings through the roof, as they say 'One Man's Trash is Another man's Treasure'. But only disadvantage about the new 230, were that they had a very short running performance, and would need to take at least an hour off their time at the depot to fully recharge after about 3-4 Wrexham - Bidston shuttles, and were often replaced by 2 of the Battery Trams.

NEXT STORY COMING UP SOON!!