Chapter 22

They march towards Dale, and reach the city during the night.
Fehlina's nervous. She wants to slip away and go to Erebor, to find Thorin, but knows she has to stay put, for now.
In the morning, Thranduil speaks to Bard, the man who killed the dragon Smaug.
Bard the Dragonslayer wants to go and see Thorin and try to reason with him.
Fehlina wants to follow him, but doesn't know how she possibly can, since it will give her and the feelings she has for Thorin, away.
She watches Bard leave, and hopes he'll return with good news.

He doesn't. Thorin will not honor his word, the word he gave to the people of Lake-town when asking for their aid when being held up by the town's Master.
His word was to give them a share of the treasure if they should succeed in taking back their gold, which is a most reasonable fee for the people's hardship.
It doesn't sound like Thorin, denying what is rightfully owned to the surviving folk from Lake-town, Fehlina thinks. Something must be wrong. Very wrong.

"I knew he couldn't be reasoned with. Dwarves are stubborn, and greedy. We attack at dawn!" Thranduil declares.
Fehlina's eyes wells up with tears. "Thorin," she whispers under her hitching breath. "What have you become?"