Chapter 7: Thanksgiving Break

Rewritten: 01/11/17

z o e

A Week Later, Tuesday

Thanksgiving break is right around the corner and I couldn't be happier. We get on break today and luckily for me, I don't have work this week.

"Morning, Naomi." I greeted her. For once, I was actually early and I think I deserve a pat on the back.

Naomi looks up, smiling. "Hi, Zoe. Ready for more reading?"

"Eh, nope but... we're finally on break!" I exclaim, "well, sorta. But you get what I mean."

She laughs, nodding her head. "I know, it is short, though." Frowning, Naomi grabs her stuff from her locker.

I shrug, "Still a break and we're returning Olivia, so that's good."

Olivia wasn't that horrible if I'm being honest. She did cry a few times during the middle of the night which was not cool but she was okay.

Naomi snickers, "Ah, Olivia," She said like it was months ago since she last saw her when really it an hour ago. "it was nice to have her for a little bit."

"If it isn't my favorite girls."

Naomi chuckled, "Hi, Derek."

When Naomi saw Derek, she screamed so loud, out of excitement and a random teacher ran in the classroom and yelled at her. It was pretty funny.

"Do you guys wanna hang out after school? I haven't seen you guys in so long."

She sighed, "Aw, I wish, but I promised my mom I'd help her with thanksgiving stuff."

Derek pouted, "Not even for a little while?"

"You're not that special, Der. We're getting food, I happen to like food." She said, patting his head.

I chuckled. "I question our friendship sometimes."

"Me too." Derek said, running a hand through his hair. To get her back, he ruffled Naomi's hair.

She scowled at him. "I hate you."

I roll my eyes, "Okay, kids. Let's get to class before we are late."

We enter the class, taking a seat. We wait for the teacher to arrive, talking quietly.

The teacher entered the class, clapping her hands, "Okay, class, take out your book and start reading from where you left off. I'll be handing out a worksheet and it's due by the end of the hour." Ms. Hall smiles, "Good luck!"

I sighed, only 5 more hours to go.

---

"So, what're you doing during the break?" I sparked up a conversation with Naomi. It's currently our lunch break and today they're serving spaghetti and meatballs and I hate it. I don't know why but I don't like spaghetti and meatballs. It tastes disgusting and bland. Maybe it's also because I don't like tomatoes that much. Ketchup is an exception. You can't eat fries without ketchup on the side.

"Well, as you know I'm helping mom, and then we're going to Brayden's today actually and then we're off to my uncles." She tells me with an excited smile on her. "How about you?" She asked me.

"Um, I believe I'm going to my dad's for a few days and that's probably it," I answered. "Derek, you?"

"Mmm, I'm not doing anything. I'm just gonna get takeaway and watch reruns of Friends."

Naomi frowned, "That's not fun."

"Do you want to come to my place? My mom would love to see you."