Chapter 14: Employees Only

Rewritten: 3/12/17

z o e

The holidays were coming up. That meant that Christmas was coming and it was coming fast. That also means that I need to buy presents for everyone and I still have not. Also, the fact that it's almost Christmas, work has been busier. The holiday drinks and desserts were out and people were flocking to the diner.

"Zoe! Clean up table 3!" Hunter shouted as he ran past me.

I nodded my head and quickly headed to table 3 and cleaned it up quickly before going back to the register to take someone else's order.

After a couple more orders, cleaning tables, I had only 30 minutes until closing time. It got less busy now and I couldn't have been happier. I really wanted to go home and just... sleep. Forget homework and everything else I have to do, I just want sleep.

The bell rang again, signaling someone else came in. I put on a smile on my face and took their order.

"That'll be $4.56, please," I tell the man. He hands me the amount and I let him know his drink will be ready in a few moments.

"Zoe..."

Shocked, I bumped into the chair and almost fell but caught myself by hanging onto the edge of the counter. I hissed, damn it, that hurt.

"Shìt, are you okay?" He quickly asked me, coming around the corner.

"Employees only." I managed to say. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Sean roll his eyes, letting out a quiet laugh.

"What're you doing here?" I asked him after a few seconds of silence.

"Do you have a few minutes to talk?" Sean asked me instead.

I glanced at the clock, "I get off in 10 minutes." I responded.

"I'll be waiting." He tells me and walks off to sit near the window.

I don't bother replying and continue doing my job... which consists of me just sitting and waiting to take more orders.

I managed to get in two more orders until my shift ended. The diner didn't close for another half hour but my shift is over.

"Bye Rita and Hunter, I'll see you soon!" I smile waving them goodbye.

"Bye sweetie, I'll see you soon." Rita smiles at me warmly.

I smile once more before exiting the back room.

I stop and remember that Sean's still here. Now, I don't hate Sean. I could never. I'm just hurt by what happen. I thought we were getting along pretty good and maybe I might have developed some sort of crazy feelings for him and I'm hurt that he said the kiss was a mistake. It's only just a kiss.

"So..." I sit down across from Sean and look at him, waiting for him to speak.

Sean clears his throat. "I.. I really don't know how to say it.. Uh, I just.. I want to apologize...for acting weird." He said. "I uh.. I regret saying what I said."

"... what do you mean?" I asked after a while.

"I've thought about it for a while now and when I said it was a mistake, I didn't mean that. I just wanted to apologize for that. I'm also sorry for kissing you, that just made things awkward for us."

I nodded my head. "I'm going to apologize too, for avoiding you. I'm sorry."

"Are we good?"

I give him a small smile, "yeah, we're good."