Chapter 8: Thanksgiving Dinner

Rewritten: 1/13/17

z o e ♡

Thursday, Thanksgiving

"We're going to dad and Julie's house on Saturday afternoon," Jacob informed me as he not so kindly barged into my room.

I nod my head not really paying attention to what he was saying as I scroll through my Tumblr feed. "Cool, alright," I mumbled distracted, waving him off. I snickered at the post about bears, screenshotting it to send it to Naomi. Half of our text messages were screenshots of Tumblr posts we saw.

I hear a sigh along with a few footsteps before my phone is ripped out of my hand. I gasp, "Hey! I was looking at that." I cry out, leaping for my phone. Jacob scowls at me. I shrink back, sitting back down. Like mom, he had that mean glare, though, he's not as good as Mom is.

"By the way, mom wants you downstairs and we're going to dad and Julie's on Saturday." He tells me once again.

I nod my head, "Okay, sure, now give me my phone." He hands it back, sighing and muttering something about annoying siblings. I chuckle, shoving my phone in my sweater pocket as I make my way to the kitchen to see what mom wants.

"Hey, Zoe! So glad you came here as fast as you humanly could." Mom sarcastically said, "As if I didn't send Jacob to get you 15 minutes ago." She mutters.

"Blame Jacob!" I quickly say, "so, what's up? What's with... all of that?" I say, staring at the huge mess in the kitchen.

"Thanksgiving dinner! We're going over to the Matthews household because they invited us over and since we had nothing really planned other than eating everything store bought, I decided why not?" Mom grins, clapping her oven mitt hands.

"So, what are you making then?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Cherry pie, my specialty."

I nod my head. "Nice,"

"Also, you are here because you are going to clean up the kitchen." My mouth drops, as I stare at the mess in horror. "Not the whole mess! You won't be doing it alone, Jacob!" Mom screams, very loudly.

"What?" Jacob yells back, his footstep coming down.

"You and Zoe are on cleaning duty. I'm on the cherry pie duty." Mom informs him.

John appeared into the kitchen, taking in sight of what went down. "What happened to the kitchen?" John exclaims, his mouth wide open.

I laugh. Mom groans, "I didn't even make that big of a mess!" She exclaims, pouting.

John slowly nods his head, "Sure honey, we can go with that." He walks up to her, giving her a kiss.

I make a face, clearing my throat, "Hello! There are children here!"

They laugh, pulling apart. "Okay crazy family of mine, we have approximately 37 minutes to clean, cook, and get ready before hitting the road." Mom said. None of us move from our spot. "Chop, chop! Hurry up!" She claps her hands. We all get to our work, laughing and talking about past memories.

---

I decided to go for something casual and not too dressy. Seeing as it is a bit chilly out recently, I decided on a pair of black skinny jeans, a maroon sweater with a white knitted scarf. I take out my brown boots, slipping them on. I walk to my jewelry box, opening it. I grab my silver watch, putting it on. I put on my favorite pair of silver earrings my grandmother got me when I was around the age of ten. As for my makeup, I keep it simple and apply a few coats of mascara, lip balm, and cover my dark under bags. I run a brush through my hair, braiding a fishtail style. Spraying on some perfume, I'm all ready to go.