02. Discussion

"The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret." –Henny Youngman

I put down my coffee mug as I take the thermometer out of Dad's mouth.

"Hmm, the temperature is normal," I mumble.

"See, I'm not sick anymore," dad says, leaning against the headboard.

Dad picks up the glass of lukewarm water from the bedside table while I collect his pills.

"Here."

"Why do I have to take all these pills?" he says with a grimace.

I shake my head at his childish behavior.

Dad suffers from arrhythmia and for that he has to take medicines regularly. Being a heart patient, he faces various problems in daily life, but mom and I make sure to take complete care of him.

"You used to make that face when you were a child, Stella," mom chuckles, folding a shirt.

"Oh, I remember those days. She always used to hide under her bed, until we gave her some chocolates," dad says, staring into space.

 I pout. "Don't team up against me, okay."

We all laugh together.

"Children grow up so soon. It seems like it was only yesterday that I was watching you take your first steps and now here you are, taking care of your old father," dad smiles.

Mom nods, folding the last piece of clothing.

Carefully, I pick up the neat pile of clothes and walk over to the cupboard.

As I close the creaky door, Dad says, "You know, I think we should consider Caroline's expert advice."

Taking a deep breath, I turn around.

"I don't even like that woman," I mutter.

I don't understand why my parents keep bringing that up. They constantly requested me to pay a visit to Caroline. When I finally gave in, I thought I wouldn't have to deal with all this stuff and that they'd move on and let me move on, but now I think I was wrong.

Now, thanks to Caroline's expert advice, I'm gonna have to deal with some more problems. I'm very tired of all this and I desperately need a break. Somewhere, I feel that most of my twenties have been wasted and now I regret I can't change anything. I should've focused more on my career, but unfortunately I couldn't. I just never knew my marriage would be big hurdle in my own growth and independence. I wish I could move back in time and change my certain careless decisions.

I sit on the edge of the bed and continue to stare at the tiled floor.

 Mom comes up and sits beside me. "If you ask me, she is an intelligent woman." 

"Mom, Dad, just...please don't ask me to follow her advice."

"Stella, y-you won't even fulfill your dad's last wish," dad says, his voice trembling.

Frowning, I snap my head in his direction.

"Don't talk like that, please."

Even I can feel my own voice breaking in the end. I can see the reddening in his blue eyes, which are now almost clouded with tears.

Dad is my strength in life and I hate it when he says such things. Whenever he falls sick, my heart sinks and I can't seem to think clear. Needless to say, I've always been closer to my Dad than my Mom. Instead of sharing my crushes with my Mom, I used to share it with him. He still pampers me a lot; I'm still daddy's little girl.