06. Thanks

"How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being." –Oscar Wilde

I don't think I'll ever forgive Todd for making me sleep on the couch, even if he gave me my blanket and pillow, because I kept tossing and turning all night and couldn't sleep a wink. On top of that, I haven't finished my office work and I don't know how David will react today.

A few seconds later, I sit up and stretch my arms. When I get up from the couch, I find Todd roaming around in the kitchen. He looks professional in his black pants and plaid shirt, but the moment his eyes meet mine, I frown.

By looking at his face, it seems that he's holding back a laugh and I don't get why he's finding this situation funny. I was the one who had to sleep on the couch yesterday night, not him. I'm the one with a stiff back, not him.

I don't bother saying good morning and make my way towards our bedroom door, which is surprisingly wide open now. After picking out a navy blue dress from my closet, I walk into the bathroom.

It takes me about twenty minutes to take a much-needed bath.

Now that I've taken a hot shower, I feel relaxed, but I still can't stop yawning every now and then. I go and stand in front of the bathroom mirror only to find it fogged up. 

I groan, knowing the fact that I'm already getting late for my office.

Picking up a cloth from nearby, I wipe down the mirror and finally get to see my face. It doesn't come as a surprise when I notice dark circles under my eyes.

"A little make-up fill definitely make you look better," I mumble to myself.

 I walk over to the door and turn the knob. After I push against it a few times in vain, it dawns on me that the door is stuck. 

"What is wrong with you?" I mutter under my breath.

As soon as these words escape from my mouth, the only tube light in the bathroom starts flickering and a shiver runs down my spine. I notice the ends of the tube have turned black and I believe it's going to fuse anytime now.

The tube light keeps blinking and a minute later, it suddenly it goes off, making a buzzing like noise.

"Oh shit!"

Frantically, I try to open the door, but it just won't budge. 

Beads of sweat trickle down my forehead as I'm left alone in darkness. My mouth becomes dry, my eyes widen and my body starts to tremble, but I keep on pushing the door.

"Todd! Please, help me...Todd!" I scream.

A few seconds later, my heart begins to pound hard in my chest and I can hear the thumping sound in my ears as well. I don't know what'll happen to me if someone doesn't help me out right now. I feel like running away, but my head is spinning. I feel slightly dizzy and I can't find it in me to shout one more time.

When I'm about to give up, a pair of hands pulls me out of the dark place and suddenly I burst into tears. Todd wraps his arms around me and I bury my face in the soft fabric of his shirt.

"You're okay, Stella...," he whispers.

I clutch his shirt for dear life as tears continue to fall from my eyes.

"I'm scared," I sob.

"I'm here now," he says, rubbing my back.

He pulls me closer and I bury my face deeper in his shirt, which smells of lemon and cedar. My erratic breathing has now become somewhat normal as I find comfort in his hug.