10. Band-Aid

"A good marriage is a contest of generosity."—Diane Sawyer

There is nothing to watch on TV and I keep switching from one channel to another.

Reluctantly, I glance at the wall clock and it is almost ten now. Todd left three hours ago and hasn't come back yet. I called him a few times, but he didn't answer his phone and now my nerves are on edge. I don't know where he is, what he is doing and I don't even know if he's somewhere safe or not. 

I put my soft blanket over myself as I sprawl out on the couch.

I got carried away and in the name of defense ended up hurting his feelings. He is very touchy about this subject and I taunted him without even thinking twice. Some painful things have happened in Todd's past and those things still haunt him in the present.

It happens always—Todd and I argue and end up hurting each other's feelings. I don't know how to break this cycle of anger, fights, pain and disappointment.

Time is ticking away and I am still clueless about Todd's whereabouts. I hope he is safe wherever he is.

My phone starts ringing and without even seeing who the caller is, I pick it up.

"Hello."

"Hello, is this Mrs. Stella Beckwith?" a female voice asks.

"Yes, I am."

"Ma'am, I'm from the Central Hospital. Your husband Todd Beckwith had an accident an hour ago and we admitted him immediately. Can you please come here and complete all the formalities?"

A shiver runs down my spine as my brain tries to process her words.

"Oh my God, is he okay?" I ask, throwing the blanket off of me.

"Yes, he's okay. We need you to come here."

"I'll be there in a minute."

My heart starts pounding in my chest and for a few moments, I have no control over myself. I have difficulties thinking clear. Is Todd all right? What exactly happened an hour ago? Is this the reason he wasn't picking up my calls? Numerous thoughts clog up my mind, but I need to stay calm right now.

I pick up my car keys from the table and before getting out of the house, I take a few things along with me because I know I'll need them later.

I get into my car and throw the things I have in my hands on the passenger seat. After I put the key in the ignition, I slam my foot down on the gas pedal. Rain patters on the windshield, making it a bit difficult for me to drive on the busy road. I have no way to get ahead and this situation is making me lose my patience.

I grip the steering so tight that my knuckles turn white.

"I'm almost there," I murmur.

The brakes screech as I bring my car to a sudden halt in front of the Central Hospital.

The hospital is a flurry of activity. The strong smell of iodoform fills my nostrils and I try my best not to wince.

"Excuse me?" I say to the receptionist.

She is speaking to someone on the phone and I tap on her desk to get her attention.

"How may I help you?" she asks, twirling a lock of red hair around her index finger.

"I'm Stella Beckwith. I'm here to see Todd Beckwith."

She picks up a register and skims through a few pages. "Oh yeah, I called you a little while ago."