04. Hola

"Marriage has no guarantees. If that's what you're looking for, go live with a car battery." -Erma Bombeck

Next morning, I wake up and find myself on the carpeted floor. An unpleasant smell fills my nostrils and I can even feel the dust under my cheek. It seems like Todd is putting no effort to keep this place clean and I would have to give him a lecture later on.

Groaning, I stand up and tilt my neck to a side until it cracks. As I tie my unruly hair in a bun, I notice Todd, who is sprawled out on the bed, sleeping in peace. Soft snores escape his lips with his mouth agape, which makes me chuckle in amusement. He doesn't look cute; rather he looks weird, which makes me laugh loudly this time.

I don't want to disturb his sleep because if he woke up now, he'd fight to go to the bathroom first and I don't want that to happen.

*****

Apparently, Todd didn't have real food in his kitchen and I had to resort to eating a bowl of cereal, which is now troubling me a bit. My stomach has started to make low noises and I'm just waiting to stuff some food in.

As I enter my office building, a gush of cold air greets me, whipping my hair into my eyes. I make my way towards my desk, greeting a few of my colleagues. Upon reaching my desk, I put my handbag on the polished table and sit in my chair, smiling at Tammy. She smiles back as she noisily chews her bubblegum. 

"Where have you been, girl?" she asks, turning around in her chair.

"It's about Todd."

"What about him? Is he saying no for the divorce?"

"No, actually, it's complicated, Tammy...we visited a renowned relationship counselor at our parents' request and now she wants us to live together for a month. In fact, we have to go meet her next week," I sigh.

"Oh," she says, her minty breath fanning my face.

"Yeah, I have so many problems to deal with."

"Add one more to your list because David has called you in his office and he doesn't look pleased," she says, typing something on her computer.

"Really? David is in a bad mood, I can't believe that."

 She chuckles, turning her head in my direction. "Yup, he is."

I run a hand through my blonde hair in an attempt to to smooth them out. Frankly, I've tried so many shampoos and oils and nothing seems to be working out. Sometimes, it gets frustrating when I buy expensive things and they don't show any results.

"Did you try the shampoo I recommended? It's working for my hair," she says, blowing a small bubble.

Tammy's dyed cinnamon red hair really enhances her warm brown skin and it's quite aggravating that I'm the only one carrying a nest on top of her head. 

"I tried, but it didn't do any good. Tammy, I fear I'll be bald in less than a year." 

"Don't worry, girl, you can always wear a wig."

"Shut up!"

She shakes her head, her lips tugging upwards in a large smile.

"I guess I better go see David. I shouldn't keep him upset for long."

After a few minutes, I find myself standing outside David's office. I can see him staring out of the large glass window, casually leaning against it. David has been my boss for more than three years now and frankly speaking, he's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. He's rarely ever upset and now I've to figure it out what's bothering him.