18. Sober

"In the opinion of the world, marriage ends all, as it does in a comedy. The truth is precisely the opposite: it begins all."—Anne Sophie Swetchine

Todd shuts the bedroom door behind him and makes his way to the living room, keeping his mobile pressed to his ear.

"All right, bye."

I look at him over the top of my shoulder. "Who was it?"

"Oh, it was Lenny. We're going to a new Thai restaurant for dinner."

"Mm-hmm."

He tilts his head to a side, slightly raising his eyebrows at me. "Why don't you come along, Stella?"

"Me?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, why not."

"But isn't it your guys night out? I thought you wouldn't want me in a ten-mile radius around that restaurant," I say, flicking my hair back.

He chuckles. "Thai food is your favorite, so I thought if I asked you, then you'd be happy."

I really wanna join him tonight because I'm too tired to cook something for myself and I need a little break from writing as well. This seems like a nice opportunity to go out and get some fresh air.

If Todd doesn't have a problem, then I don't have a problem either.

"Okay, I think it's a great idea, Todd," I smile at him.

"Cool, then get ready 'cause we're leaving in like half an hour."

I lick my lips. "Um, can I bring my friends with me? If you don't have a problem with that."

He nods. "Sure."

*****

As Todd locks the main door and turns around, I strike a pose or at least try to.

"How do I look?"

"Truth or lie?"

I bite my bottom lip. "Um, the truth."

"Stella you need to work out."

I frown. "Okay, now lie to me!"

He takes a step forward, puts his hands on my shoulders and pulls me a little closer.

"You look beautiful."

"Thank you...and I think you should lie to me more often."

Todd and I are about to leave for the restaurant now and I've also texted Tammy and Brian about our dinner plan.

The reason for inviting them is selfish on my part. I mean, Todd's friends and I don't get along most of the time, but I love Thai food, so I thought if I'd invite my friends, things wouldn't be too awkward to handle. However, if I look at the positive side, this dinner will give us all an opportunity to get to know each other better.

As we climb down the porch steps, Todd turns left, but I take his hand in mine to stop him.

I take out my car keys from my jeans pocket and turn my head to look at him.

"We will go by car."

Slowly, he pulls his hand away to look at his wristwatch. "Stella, it's almost nine and I don't want to get late. Please don't do this."

I slightly shake my head. "Todd, you don't do this, okay...I promise I won't hurt you."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I believe this is not the right time to do this."