08. One Week

"Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit." -Billy Connolly

I finish reading today's newspaper and get up from the couch. Smoothing out my blue dress, I pick up my car keys, and walk over to the main door, when suddenly I turn around. 

Todd is chewing on his apple, sitting on the same couch I was sitting moments ago. 

"Um, Todd?"

He turns his head in my direction.

"I was wondering if maybe, you would want a ride. After all, we're going to the same place." I dart my eyes between the apple and him.

I want him to say yes and come along with me, but I already know what his answer is going to be. He has his own reasons to deny me.

However, there's still a possibility.

He shrugs. "No, I'll ride the subway."

"O-okay," I say, biting my bottom lip.

Turning the doorknob, I step outside and make my way towards my car.

As I slide in my car, I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding. I switch on the engine before looking at myself in the rear view mirror.

It's been a week since I moved in with Todd and today, we're going to meet Caroline again. She'll analyze our relationship growth or something like that. It's hard to believe that we made it through a week. Only three more weeks, and after that, we'll get rid of each other completely.

*****

I brake my car in front of Caroline's office building.

I don't know what'll happen today. God knows, what Caroline has on her mind.

When I reach her office, I notice my parents and Todd's  Mom already sitting on the benches outside her room.

They all give me little encouraging smiles.

Nodding, I push the door open, and a gush of cold air greets me.

Looking around, I sit in one of the chairs in front of her desk. She's still not here and neither is Todd.

I don't know why, but I have an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. It feels a little weird because a week ago nobody knew I would've to move in with Todd and it comes as a surprise that we survived one week together without too many fierce arguments. However, that doesn't mean I want to live with him; no, I don't.

"Good morning, Stella, Todd."

I look up to find Caroline beaming at us.

Wait, when did Todd arrive here? I didn't even realize it.

Guess I was too lost in my own strange thoughts to notice him.

"Morning," we reply in unison.

She rubs her hands together, leaning forward. "So, how was the week for the both of you?"

"It was okay." I shrug.

"Yeah...it was okay."

"Did you guys watch the Therapy for Couples CDs that I gave you?"

Todd and I look at each other and then back at Caroline.

"What?"

She sighs, "Don't tell me you forgot."

"We both were caught up in our respective works, so...we forgot," Todd says, giving her a tight smile.

"Guys, you need to be more responsible about this thing. Now, when you get back home, the first thing I want you to do is watch those CDs, okay?"