11. Help Me

"Marriage, families, all relationships are more a process of learning the dance rather than finding the right dancer."—Paul Pearsall

I fill my mouth with a spoonful of honey nut Cheerios and tilt my head to hold my mobile in place. "Sorry, I won't be coming to office today."

"What happened, Stella?" David asks.

I put the spoon down on the table and hold the phone properly in my hand.

"Todd had a minor accident yesterday night and I think I should stay at home to take proper care of him."

"Oh, okay no problem."

"Thanks, David," I smile to myself.

"Adiós!" he chirps.

I roll my eyes as I end the call.

Picking up my bowl from the table, I stand up from the couch and walk into the kitchen. After I wash the bowl, I come back into the living room and find Todd getting out of our bedroom.

"Good morning," I say, pulling on my robe.

"Morning."

"I took a leave, so I'm staying at home today." I shrug.

"You didn't have to, Stella."

I look at his face and notice dark circle under his eyes.

"It's cool with me...oh and your Mom called a little while ago," I say, licking my lips.

He takes a few steps towards me. "What did she say?"

"She was worried about you—"

"You didn't tell her, right?" He cocks an eye at me.

"I couldn't lie to her," I say, lifting one shoulder.

"Oh God..."

"I told her you slipped in the bathroom."

He snorts, "Obviously."

"She asked if we could visit her."

"Yeah, I was planning a visit already, so I guess we can go in the afternoon."

I nod.

I have taken a leave because I still feel guilty on the inside. If I can do something to make things a little better and if I can do something to make up for my stupidity, I won't hesitate. Although, Todd is not mad at me anymore, I don't think I can forgive myself yet. 

It's just strange.

"Uh, Stella?" he says, scratching the back of his neck.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Yeah?"

"I need your help with something."

"What is it?"

He takes me into our bedroom and I follow him, but I don't understand what's going on.

We enter our bedroom and my eyes slightly widen when I see a bowl of water, a clean towel and Todd's shaving kit on the bed.

He turns around to face me and I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Um, it's difficult for me to shave," he says, raising his right arm, "so, can you help me?"

I cross my arms over my chest.

He bites his bottom lip.

"I don't know how to do it."

"I'll give you instructions."