07. Work Hard

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards." –Benjamin Franklin

As I glide open the glass door, everyone snaps their head in my direction. Everyone is sitting on small chairs, making a circle around David, who is standing with his hands clasped behind his back. 

David shakes his head. "Thanks for gracing us with your presence, Stella, really."

"My car broke down, I'm sorry."

"My goldfish died, but I'm here on time."

"Really? Your goldfish died?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

"No, darling, I was being sarcastic."

It's strange I couldn't pick up on his sarcasm.

I look down and walk over to get a seat between Tammy and Brian.

"Good morning." Brian smiles.

"Morning, Brian," I say, putting my handbag down on the tiled floor.

"Since you all are here, let me tell you why I had to call you for this emergency meeting," David says, pointing his chin at Brian, "please, enlighten us."

Brian nods, standing up.

"As All Heart's main production center is situated here, in Brooklyn, so the sales here are much higher, however, in some other parts of New York, stats show a minor decline," Brian says.

"Thanks, Brian," David says, half-smiling.

So, this is what he called an emergency meeting for. David should stop worrying too much because sometimes, sales go down as well and I don't find any serious problem in that.

He frowns. "Guys, I don't want my business to crumble." 

"Relax, nothing's gonna crumble," I say, shrugging.

David looks down, playing with a ring on his pinkie finger before letting out a deep breath. "I want you guys to know that I'm very proud of you. I really appreciate your hard work and dedication and...I want All Heart to be the next New York's Magazine of the Year."

"We will make that happen, right guys?" Brian asks, grinning.

"Yes!" everyone replies in unison.

David smiles, his arm pumping in the air. "Trabajen duro!"

All of us laugh together and shortly later, David exits the lounge through the opposite door.

Tammy leans towards me, furrowing her brow. "Did he abuse us in Spanish?"

 Brian rolls his eyes. "No, he said 'work hard'."

"Oh," Tammy murmurs.

I shake my head slightly.

"By the way, did you complete your pending articles?" she asks.

I turn my head in her direction and can't help but notice her cherry red lips.

"I'm halfway through my work, and by the way, nice lipstick."

"Thanks, Stella," she chirps.

I start talking to Brian and some of his ideas about increasing the sales of our magazine seem promising. I hope we win New York's Magazine of the Year award for David this year because we're all so passionate about this whole thing.

Brian tilts his head, narrowing his eyes at me. "You look tired out, Stella."

I couldn't do my make-up earlier this morning, so it doesn't surprise me that he noticed.