25. Last Kiss

"If I get married, I want to be very married."-Audrey Hepburn

"Gary, I'm taking his blows like I'm made of some sort of spongy material."

In order to distract myself from other matters, I've been watching SpongeBob marathon for the past two hours, and much to my surprise, it has worked to some extent.

Three days have passed and only two more are left before I finally move out of Todd's place. Although, I know I've some more time left, I've started to pack my things already because I don't think I'll be able to do my packing the very last day.

"Squidward, this is great! Just you, me, and this brick wall you built between us."

"Since when did you start watching SpongeBob?" Todd asks, sitting beside me.

"I'm just trying to find some inspiration."

"You're watching SpongeBob to find inspiration...that's weird."

I turn my head to find him all dressed up.

"Are you going somewhere?"

He loosens his black tie before replying, "Yeah, I've to go meet a new client."

I nod.

"Oh, by the way, where's my file?"

"What file?"

"Um, the red one. I kept it right here on the table."

I shrug. "I've been sitting here for like two hours and I haven't seen that file."

"What?" he exclaimed, "How could you not see it, Stella? It was-it was right here."

I cross my arms over my chest. "I haven't seen it."

"But I kept it here only."

"Todd, what do you mean? Do you think I made it magically disappear?" I say, rolling my eyes at him.

He runs a hand through his hair. "You're taking it the wrong way."

"No, Todd, I am taking it the way you want me to take it."

Abruptly, he stands up from the couch and makes his way to our bedroom.

This is what I'm afraid of and this is the reason I don't say I love you to him, despite being deeply in love with him. Just say I love you and, bam, everything falls into place--things aren't always so easy. We all have our insecurities and getting over them is not a cakewalk.

Can Todd and I ever stop fighting?

Yeah, when pigs fly!

I hear the echo of footsteps and turn my head to find Todd walking towards me with a red file in his hand.

I smirk. "Oh, your file miraculously reappeared."

He sits down next to me and his cheeks turn a light shade of red.

"It was in the bedroom. Sorry, I-I forgot."

"Don't say sorry."

"But-"

I sigh, "Todd, you can't fire bullets at someone and say sorry afterwards."

"Why are you getting all steamed up about this?" he asks, looking into my eyes.

"Because," I say, "if we didn't fight over petty things, we wouldn't be in this situation right now."

He is not the only one to be blamed because we're both responsible for ruining our marriage. They say 'you only realize the importance of someone when they are gone'. I guess I just took him for granted and now, it's taking a toll on me. Our arguments masked my love for him and I suppose it's too late to realize how insensible I've been all this while.